MPhil/PhD Application Process
Round 2 applications are now closed. If you would like to complete your application as soon as possible we will accept it. Please be aware that as the application deadline has passed, your application will be subject to availability of places following Round 2 decisions
Applications made after the round 2 deadline will only be reviewed if there are spaces left on programmes after all applications made within the deadline period have been reviewed. See below if you wish to access the application portal. If you wish to register for updates, please click here.
You can apply for your Programme of interest via our online application portal.
Interview period (Round 2 applications): Monday 9 – Friday 20 March 2020
Notification of the outcome of your application: from Friday 27 March 2020
Deadline for accepting your offer: three weeks from the date of offer
Already applied – what happens next?
All applications are reviewed by a team of academics with experience of supervising research degrees within the School. Your application will be reviewed as follows:
- Review of the application and portfolio of work (where appropriate). Selection panels assess applications in terms of quality of proposal, readiness for study at this level, the feasibility of the project and supervisory capacity.
- Candidates are notified that they will be called for interview or that their application has been unsuccessful (please be aware that we do not usually offer feedback at this stage). Some unsuccessful applicants may be referred for consideration for a place on our MRes Master of Research programme, where they can more fully develop their research methods and experience.
- Interview: we usually prefer to interview candidates at the College as this offers the best opportunity to assure all parties that this is the best route to pursue at this stage. However, where necessary we can arrange live online interviews by arrangement with the School Administrators.
- Outcome: successful candidates will be proposed to our internal Admissions Board and a formal letter of an offer will be sent. You may be informally offered a place, but you should wait for a formal offer that has been fully ratified. Unsuccessful applicants may be referred for consideration for a place on our MRes Master of Research programme.
- Acceptance: Successful applicants should secure their place and supervisors by returning their acceptance and deposit by Monday 13 April.
Click here to access the RCA's application portal.