Update you browser

For the best experience, we recommend you update your browser. Visit our accessibility page for a list of supported browsers. Alternatively, you can continue using your current browser by closing this message.

Do I need a visa to study at the RCA?

Most international students, including EU students who do not currently live in the UK, will need a Student Visa to study at the RCA.

You will not need to apply for a visa if you:

  • are an Irish national
  • have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • are an EU national who moved to the UK before 30 December 2020 and have received settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme 
  • have indefinite leave to enter the UK, for example, if you have a Returning Resident Visa.

How to apply for a Student Visa from outside the UK

You can only apply for a Student Visa after the following conditions are met:

  • You hold an unconditional offer to study at the RCA
  • You have paid all deposits due for your programme, and you must have firmly accepted your offer
  • You have been issued a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) number for your visa application

Please note that you may only apply for a Student Visa within three months of your programme’s start date shown in your CAS. This means if you are starting in September your CAS will not be issued to you until June/July at the earliest.

Visit CAS number: frequently asked questions for more information on how and when you will receive your CAS number.

Step 1: Prepare your documents

What documents do I need?

  • CAS: Your CAS number will be provided to you by the College. It confirms that we have made you an offer of a place to study with us, and that you have accepted this. See more about CAS numbers below.
  • Passport: This must be valid on the date you submit your online visa application form and the date on which you plan to arrive in the UK.
  • Financial documents: proof you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances.
  • Qualifications: All the documents listed in the ‘Evidence used to obtain offer’ section of your CAS statement which include certificates or transcripts of qualifications which were used to assess your suitability for the course, including any English language tests.
  • English language ability: Your CAS will state how your English language ability has been assessed.
  • Financial sponsor’s consent letter: If a government or an international scholarship agency is currently providing financial sponsorship or have provided financial sponsorship within the last 12 months for studies in the UK, they must provide a letter of consent. Financial sponsorship means that all of your tuition fees and living costs covered. The Student Advice Service can provide detailed requirements for the letter.
  • A letter from your parent/legal guardian: if they are supporting you financially, and evidence of their relationship to you
  • TB test result: if you have been residing in a country which requires this. See gov.uk/tb-test-visa for further details.

All documents provided should be in English. Officially certified translations are accepted where necessary.

English language requirements

You will need to provide evidence that you meet the English language requirement for your programme. These vary depending on the programme you are studying at the RCA.

Visit individual programme pages for specific language requirements, and visit English language requirements page to see what qualifications and tests accepted.

How much money do I need?

On the date that you pay for your visa application, you will need to demonstrate that you have living expenses of £1,334 per month for the duration of your studies in the UK, up to a maximum of £12,006, in addition to the tuition fees for your first year of study.

You can show that these funds are available to you in the following ways:

  1. Cash funds in your personal bank account e.g. savings or current account.
  2. Cash funds in your parent’s/legal guardian’s personal bank account.
  3. Official financial sponsorship.
  4. Specific types of student loans

The funds must be in a bank account in your name for a minimum of 28 consecutive days. The bank statement cannot be 31 days old from the date of your student visa application.  If the evidence is in another currency other than GBP, please use the currency conversion website OANDA to make sure that the funds are at the correct level.

The funds must be readily accessible cash, for example in a current (chequing) account, savings account, or certificate of deposit. You can also supply a bank letter in place of a bank statement.

We have produced a sample bank letter and statements that you may find useful:

Exemptions: If you are a national of a country on the Government's 'differential evidence requirement' list, including EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, you are not required to submit evidence to show that you meet the financial requirements or provide your academic qualifications used to obtain an offer of study. The Home Office, however, retain the right to request sight of these documents. For the full list visit gov.uk/student-visa/money

Step 2: Complete the online application form

Apply for your Student Visa at gov.uk/student-visa/apply

The visa costs:

  • £348 to apply for a Student visa from outside the UK
  • £475 to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK

Step 3: Pay your immigration health surcharge

Anyone applying for a Student visa which will last for six months or more must get an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) number. This will give you access to the National Health Service in the UK.

At the end of the online application form you will be directed to the IHS website which will link your visa application form with your IHS number. The current IHS charge for students is £470 per year.

You can calculate how much you will need to pay on the Home Office website. The IHS is an integrated part of the Student Visa application and does not need to be applied for separately. 

Step 4: Attend your biometric appointment

All applicants are required to book an appointment to attend a Visa Application Centre (VAC) to enrol their biometric information and complete the final steps of their visa application. You will book an appointment at your nearest location as part of the online visa application process.

At your appointment you will provide your fingerprints and a digital photograph. Some applicants will also be required to attend an interview called a credibility interview during their biometric appointment.

Find your local Visa Application Centre here: gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre

Step 5: Submit your documents

After you submit your biometrics and complete your interview (if required to), you will:

  • Submit your application summary sheet and supporting documents at the VAC during your appointment. You may also have ability to scan and upload your supporting documents.


  • You will post your application summary sheet, biometric enrolment receipt and supporting documents to the British Embassy. You may have the option to scan your supporting documents instead. Your application form will guide you on the process to follow in your country of application.

Step 6: After your visa has been granted

When you apply from outside the UK, you will be issued a 90-day entry stamp and a letter from the Home Office. The stamp will start from the date that you intend to travel to the UK, as stated on your application form (please note, you can enter the UK up to one month prior to your course of study beginning). When you enter the UK you will need to show the Immigration Official your 90-day entry stamp and the Home Office letter.

Upon entering the UK, you must collect your Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) from the Post Office selected on your student application within 10 days. If you are required to quarantine as part of the government guidelines you can collect your BRP card after quarantine.

  • A BRP is a plastic card similar in size to a credit card. It will show your visa expiry date as well as any restrictions on work and will allow you to enter and leave the UK with restrictions. 

Failure to collect the BRP within 10 days may result in a fine or your visa being cancelled.

Frequently asked questions

As a result of the recent immigration changes, both students and universities are required to comply with Home Office requirements under the Student Route of the Points Based System. 

As a student, if you fail to comply with these conditions it may result in you being reported to the Home Office, which could result in your immigration permission being cancelled. 

The College also has to comply with these conditions. Failure to do so could result in the loss of the HEI Sponsor License, without which the College would not be able to retain current or register new international students.

The following is a summary of the responsibilities of the student and the college. Students are also strongly advised to read Appendix ST: Student immigration rules and the Student Route guidance for further information.

Student Responsibilities

As a student you are responsible for:

  • Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card within 10 days of arriving in the UK 
  • Checking the information on the BRP card is correct
  • Providing the College with a copy of your passport and visa/biometric ID Card
  • Informing the College of any changes to your immigration status or personal details (i.e. address and telephone number)
  • Re-enrolling on your programme on time at the start of each academic year
  • Attending lectures, seminars, tutorials and crits as required for your programme of study. You must inform your Programme Administrator of any temporary absence due to illness etc
  • Informing the College of any intentions to defer, suspend or withdraw from your programme of study
  • Leaving the UK should you defer, suspend or withdraw from your programme of study
  • Keeping up to date with immigration rules, regulations and application requirements
  • Keeping your immigration permission up to date and applying for an extension in good time before your existing visa runs out
  • Complying with your existing immigration conditions (i.e. not working more hours per week than you are allowed)

College Responsibilities

The College has the following responsibilities:

  • Issue Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) where it is satisfied that students intend to and are able to follow the programme of study and meet the requirements for obtaining a student visa
  • Taking and keeping copies of students' passports, immigration status documents, visas or biometric ID Cards
  • Keeping up to date copies of students' contact details
  • Checking that students have registered on their programme of study and to report any student who fails to do so to the Home Office
  • Monitoring each student's attendance and report any unauthorised absence to the Home Office
  • Reporting leaves of absence, suspension or withdrawals of study to the Home Office
  • Reporting any information relating to a student failing to comply with their immigration conditions (i.e. working too many hours or overstaying their visa)

Withdrawal of Visa Sponsorship

The RCA will normally withdraw Visa Sponsorship of a student:

  • Whose studies are terminated due to failure to make academic progress
  • Who do not attend and participate in their studies as required for their programme of study
  • Who have taken leave of absence for medical, academic or personal reasons
  • Who fail to keep the College up to date and informed as to their immigration status as required
  • Who are found to have failed to comply with the terms of their visa (ie. overstaying or working too many hours)
  • Who are without current leave to remain and have not made an 'in time' application to extend
  • Who have had an application refused by the Home Office and no longer have leave to remain or right of appeal

If visa sponsorship is withdrawn the student will be de-registered from their course and will not be able to attend College until visa sponsorship has been re-instated.

The RCA is legally required to report all withdrawals of visa sponsorship to the Home Office immediately.

Students then have 60 days in which to leave the UK.

After You Arrive

Biometric Residence Permit Cards and Passports:

  • Keep your BRP and passport card in a safe, secure location. Do not carry your BRP card unless you are travelling
  • Make copies of your passport and BRP card, hardcopy or digital are fine
  • If you feel you must carry your BRP card, keep the BRP card separate from the rest of your wallet

Police Registration:

If you are from one of the follow countries below remember to register with the police at the Overseas Visitors Record Office. It should also be indicated on your vignette (the entry sticker in your passport) if you need to register with the police.

Afghanistan. Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan. Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen

If You Move: 

  • If you have a UK visa and move, you must notify the Home Office. So, if your accommodation address differs from the address in your visa application, notify the Home Office
  • If you had to register with the police, you must also notify them if you move. You can go to the Overseas Visitors Record Office or your local police station if you move after registering at the Overseas Visitors Record Office.
  • The RCA is required by the Home Office to keep up to date records as your visa sponsor. Please help us by reporting your new address if you move on the RCA intranet using the Student Letter Request form.

You can arrive in the UK prior to your course starting. If you are on a course lasting 12 months or more, you will be allowed to enter one month prior to the official start date of the course. 

If you are studying for less than six months you will be allowed to enter one week prior to the official start date of the course.

If you are coming to study in the UK as a student on a student visa you may wish to bring family with you. Certain students are permitted to bring family members to the UK as dependants.

Who can be a dependant? 

The definition of a ‘partner’ has been expanded for those permitted to bring dependent partners to the UK. A ‘partner’ now includes a fiancé, or proposed civil partner, which is a new development.

Under the  immigration rules your 'dependants' are:

  • Husband or wife
  • Civil partner (same sex relationship only)
  • Unmarried or same sex partner (you must evidence that you have been living in a relationship for two years)
  • Children under the age of 18 (upon arrival in the UK)

Important: When bringing dependent children both living parents must normally be coming to the UK or extending their leave in this capacity. If only one parent is applying to come to the UK, please speak to an International Student Adviser at the College because there are very limited exceptions to this requirement.

Who can bring dependants?

You can bring your dependant to the UK if:

  • you are studying a postgraduate level course, lasting 9 months or more, or
  • you are fully sponsored by your government for a programme of study lasting more than six months
  • you are applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Detailed information for dependants is available on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website, including information about:

  • financial requirements
  • how to apply for a dependant visa
  • working as a dependant
  • babies born in the UK
  • family members visiting you
  • schooling for your children.

No recourse to public funds 

A person with no recourse to public funds (NRPF) cannot access benefits, homelessness assistance from the council or allocation of social housing through the council's register. Only these publicly​ funded services are classed as 'public funds' for immigration purposes – see the full list here.  

Family members visiting you

Your family members (including those not eligible for a dependant visa) can visit you for a short period of time while you’re in the UK. They would need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa online.

Standard visitor visa

Guide to supporting documents

Invitation letter for family

If you hold a Student Visa to study at the RCA then you should have permission to work in the UK for a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacation periods.

Your permission to work will be stamped on your visa in your passport or on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you have extended your visa in the UK.

You should check to ensure that you have been given the correct permission to work. If you have not been given permission or have not been given the correct permission you should contact the Student Support Office for further advice.

What kind of work can I do?

While studying in the UK you can perform most kinds of work. However, you must not do the following:

  • be self-employed (this includes freelance work)
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson or sport coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • take a full-time permanent job
  • pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.

Volunteering is also considered as work; if you are working and volunteering the combined hours must be at 20 hours per week

How a week is defined?

  • A 'week' has been defined in the Immigration Rules as 'a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday'.
  • If you work irregular hours and/or have more than one employer, you will need to keep detailed records of how many hours you work each day so that you can be sure that you are not in danger of breaching your work condition by exceeding 10 or 20 hours in any seven-day period, starting on a Monday.

What is term time? 

'Term time' means any period when you are supposed to be doing academic work. For example, when you should be:

  • attending classes and lectures, workshops and seminars
  • preparing for exams
  • doing coursework
  • writing essays, a dissertation or thesis.

Term time and holiday or vacation dates are defined by the College's calendar.

These dates are usually based around the academic year with holidays at Christmas, Easter and in the summer. 

Vacation periods

Your vacation periods is when you can work full time, are the period when you are not required to be studying. 

Different work restrictions apply to postgraduate students and postgraduate research. 

  • You are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time and full time during the Christmas, Easter and Summer vacation only.            
  • Students on a 15 month MA do not have a summer term, so you cannot be considered to be on vacation until you have completed all elements of your degree, including submission of your dissertation or final corrections to your thesis. 
  • Once you've completed all elements of your degree and are waiting for your results then you will be able to work full time for a maximum of four months or until your Tier 4 visa expires, whichever is the earliest.  

Postgraduate research students

As a research student, you do not have the same defined vacation periods as postgraduate taught students. 

Your working hours remain as 20 hours per week throughout the year. You would only be allowed to work full time during your vacation time.

As a PhD student, your vacation periods would need to be approved and authorised by your supervisor. You would need to make sure that authorisation of your holiday is recorded and a copy is also given to you.

Applying for a National Insurance Number

Students who are actively seeking work may apply for a National Insurance Number by telephoning the following number.

You need to apply by phone for a National Insurance number.

National Insurance number application line:

Telephone: 0800 141 2075 
Textphone: 0800 141 2438
Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm

The telephone operator will ask you a number of questions including:

  • full UK address and Postcode
  • personal details (name, date of birth)
  • employer’s name and address if you have one.
  • your occupation
  • your date of entry to the UK
  • your eligibility to work in the UK (e.g. student visa, student dependant visa, EU citizen).

The phone call will last approximately 10–20 minutes.

If the operator considers you to be eligible for a National Insurance number on the basis of the information you have supplied, they will book an appointment for you to have a National Insurance number interview at one of the local offices (they will provide the address) If required. They will inform you how long it will take for you to get a national insurance number. An interview will be arranged locally (usually within 18 working days) and you will receive a National Insurance Number several weeks thereafter. The whole process should take no longer than 6 weeks.

Working without a National Insurance Number

You can start work before your National Insurance number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK. You should tell your employer that you’ve applied for one, and give it to them when you have it. 

There are currently a number of different work visa categories available under the points-based system. All have varying requirements and rules attached to them.

Visit Staying in the UK after your studies for more details.

In January 2018, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) announced changes to the Immigration rules that allow universities to issue a CAS to sponsor students to study on a part-time Master’s degree course.

This part-time visa is not suitable for all part-time courses. If you are interested in studying on a part-time Programme, please discuss the suitability of the course for part-time study with the Programme admissions team and Student Support. The UKVI imposes a number of restrictions on part-time studies on a student visa that may mean it is not a suitable visa route for your course or is not an appropriate visa for you to hold.

Restrictions for Part-time Students

  • No work is permitted at any capacity (including placements or work experience paid or unpaid)
  • You cannot work remotely for an overseas company while in the UK
  • You cannot bring/have any dependants in the UK (such as a visa-dependant partner or children)
  • You cannot switch from full-time study to part-time study without leaving the UK to apply for a new student visa
  • You must meet all visa requirements, including financial and English language

The University’s Sponsor licence responsibilities still apply, including attendance-monitoring and reporting duties.

Duration of a Part-time Student Visa

You would be granted a visa for the length of your course plus two months if your course is less than a year in duration, or your course length plus 4 months if your course is longer than a year.

Required Documents 

Applications can be made online

  • The CAS you have received from the RCA,
  • Passport(s)
  • Original copies of the academic qualifications you have used to obtain an unconditional offer from the RCA. You can submit either your original certificate or original transcript of results. If these are not in English, you must provide 'a fully certified translation' by a professional translator. English language certificate if applicable. 
  • Application fee of £348 
  • Financial Evidence (see details below). 
  • NHS Health Charge £470 for each year for the duration of your stay plus 4 months which could include an additional. To find out how much your NHS surcharge will be please click here.
  • A TB Medical Certificate (if applicable): students from some countries are required to have a TB test as part of their visa application process. To find out if this applies to you, check the  Home Office website.

All documents must be original and any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a full translation that can be checked by the UKVI.

Financial Evidence 

You will need evidence that you can pay for your tuition fees and living expenses of £1334 per month for nine months £12.006 depending on your circumstances. The required funds have to be in your account for a 28 consecutive day period.

  • The bank statements must be addressed to you for past 1 month.
  • Electronic bank statements printed from an internet banking account can be accepted but they will need to be stamped by the bank on every single page.  
  • The statement should also have the bank name and logo, account name & number and the amount available.

We have produced a sample bank letter and statements that you may find useful.

Please use the currency conversion website OANDA to make sure that the funds are at the correct level.

If you have received a refusal after a student visa application, you must inform the Student Support team  and the Admissions team as soon as possible.

Please send a scan of your entire refusal notice paperwork to Admissions and Student Support Office, and individuals in the teams will help you through the next steps.

If you think the refusal was incorrect, based on the evidence you submitted with your application, you may be able to request an 'administrative review' of the decision to refuse it. There is no fee for this if you are submitting an administrative review overseas, but you must request the administrative review within 28 days of the date you receive your refusal notice. Please note that you cannot produce new or different documents for an administrative review. You can read Home Office guidance to administrative reviews online.

We would advise you to consult the Student Support Office before lodging an administrative review where possible so that they can help advise you on the procedure and process.

When to make a Student visa extension

If you need to extend your Student Visa, you should start getting your documents ready at least three months before your current visa expires. Not everyone can extend their Student Visa in the UK. You need to check the following if you can extend your visa in the UK or you need to apply from your home country.

  • If you are applying for a visa to start a new degree, and this degree starts more than 28 days after your current visa expires, you will not be able to extend your visa within the UK. You would need to return home and apply there.
  • You cannot apply for a Student Visa in the UK if you currently have a Standard Visitor Visa or a Short-Term Visa.
  • Make sure you apply for an extension before your visa expires. If you apply after it expires you will be an 'overstayer'. This can have a serious impact on you starting your degree at the RCA and your visa application. If you have overstayed please contact us immediately at [email protected] for further information.
  • Meet the Home Office's 'academic progression' requirement; this requirement may mean that you cannot apply in the UK, even if you meet other requirements and you will have to apply from your home country.

How to make a Student Visa renewal application in the UK

If you already have a student visa to study at the RCA and need to extend this to continue your studies you first need to request for a new Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from the Registry Team.

  • We recommend you do this three months before your current visa expires.
  • Make sure you attach a scanned copy of your passport photo page and your most recent UK visa to your CAS request with details of why you require a new CAS. You may need to get a supporting letter from your Head of Programme.
  • Once checks have been made the Registry team will email you a new CAS to your RCA email address. 

If your Student Visa is sponsored by another university, you must apply for a new visa sponsored by the RCA before you can start your degree here.

Make sure that:

Required documents 

The Student Visa route requires 70 points made up from:

Study 50 Points

  • CAS for studies requirement 
  • Course requirement
  • Qualification requirement
  • Level of study requirement
  • Place of study requirement

Financial requirement: 10 points

  • If you or your dependant partner, or dependant child have been living in the UK for 12 months or more at the time of your new applications you will automatically meet the financial requirements. This means you do not need to provide financial evidence with your application. If you are applying from outside the UK financial requirement will still be applicable.
  • If you are a Graduate Diploma Student you might need to provide evidence of the financial requirements to check please email [email protected]

Although there is not a requirement to submit financial documents when extending your visa you will still need to declare that you have the required funds to cover tuition fees and living costs. The caseworker could request you to provide evidence of your maintenance requirement.

You must declare you can demonstrate maintenance of:

  • Living costs of £12,006 (£1,334 per month up to nine months ) 
  • Living costs of £7,605 for each dependant (£845 per month up to nine months)

Documents you provide to demonstrate your maintenance funds can be original or electronic

Appendix Finance sets out the requirements for the level of funds and length of time they must be held

English requirement: 10 points

English Language requirement For English language requirements click here

Additional documents required

Additional documents will be needed at the point of making your visa application.

  • Passport(s)/travel document(s)
  • Application Fee: £475
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) £ 470 per year (you will be required to pay this once you submit your online application).
  • English language ability (as stated in your CAS)
  • Sponsor letter (if applicable – if you are sponsored for living costs and/or tuition fees then you will need a document proving this)
  • A letter from your parent/legal guardian if they are supporting you financially, and evidence of their relationship to you
  • All documents provided should be in English. Officially certified translations are accepted where necessary
  • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable). You must make sure that your Police Registration Certificate is up-to-date when making your application.   

Checking your Application form  

The International Student Adviser can help students apply for their Student visa while in the UK.

At your appointment, they will check that your application has been completed correctly and that you have the correct documents for submission. We provide you with a registration form that you need to use at RCA enrolment to evidence that you have made a visa application.

If you would like us to help you check the application. You must make sure that you do not submit and pay for the application. Just complete sections 1, and 2 only and save your application. Do not tick the consent box on the 'Declaration' page of the online form as you will not be able to correct any mistakes beyond this stage.

This service is via appointment only.  To book an appointment, please email Student Support

How long will it take?

  • Applications submitted will have a decision within 8 weeks. However, during busy periods (September to November) it can take longer.
  • Get a faster decision on your application (If you want to get a decision more quickly, you can pay an extra £500 for the priority service to get a decision within 5 working days,  £800 for the super priority service to get a decision by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday, 2 working days after providing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
  • Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.

When you’ll get your biometric residence permit

  • You’ll usually receive your biometric residence permit (BRP) within 7 to 10 days of your decision. If it does not arrive, you can report your missing BRP online.
    Your BRP will be sent to the address you gave in your application. You need to update your address before your application is approved if you want it sent elsewhere.

Please note: Your BRP will be sent by 'signed for' service so you should ensure that someone is at your home address to sign for the delivery.

Travel outside the UK before you receive a decision

Applicants under the new system keep their passports throughout the application process. If you leave the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and travel on the passport you used in your application before the Home Office makes a decision, you are automatically treated as having withdrawn your application. 

Your immigration health surcharge should be refunded, but your application fee may not be refunded. You will usually have to make another immigration application before returning to the UK.

It is important that you speak to a student adviser before you withdraw your application as doing so is likely to have consequences both for your current immigration status and for any future immigration applications you may make.

Your application has been returned as invalid. 

The Home Office recently introduced a set of new validity requirements for visa applications under the Points Based Immigration System. Your application must meet all of the validity requirements listed in Appendix ST 1.1 - 1.7 of the immigration rules. 

If your application is invalid, the UKVI will send you a letter telling you why your application was invalid. Your application fee will be refunded to the payment card you used for your application (minus a £25 administrative fee). 

If your previous Tier4/student visa is still valid after receiving an invalid decision form the UKVI you may be able to make a new application before your permission expires. 

Please note an invalid application doesn’t extend your permission to be in the UK. It is important that you do not apply for new student visa very close to your current visa expiry date as an invalid application could result in you being an overstayer in the UK.

If your application is returned as invalid, you must contact [email protected] and [email protected] immediately so than an advisor can provide you will guidance and advice on how to proceed. 

Overstaying in the UK

Overstaying in the UK is a criminal offence, therefore, you must arrange to leave the UK, or make an application to extend your stay before your visa expires. If you submit your student visa before your expiry date then your permission in the UK will extend until a decision has been made. 

If your visa application is invalid and your current visa has expired and there is no grace period once your visa expires, You will have no legal permission to be in the UK until you get a new visa.

This will mean that:

  • You cannot work or study (the University will suspend your enrolment)
  • You may need to pay for any healthcare that you receive
  • Your bank may close your account
  • You will need to state on each future UK visa application that you overstayed your leave. 

You cannot make a visa application in the UK once your visa has expired, unless:

  • You can prove that the overstay was for reasons beyond your control eg. hospitalisation or The Home office website is not working

Your student visa application has been returned is invalid

In the case is invalid or reasons beyond your control, you will be permitted to submit an application up to 14 days after your permission to stay has expired.  

Overstay of up to 30 days

You will only be able to make a new application to return to the UK if your period of overstay was less than 30 days, and you left the UK voluntarily and at your own expense.  

Overstay of more than 30 days

If you overstay for more than 30 days in the UK, you will be banned from returning for one to 10 years. 

Contact us

Please speak to an adviser to seek full advice about your options as early as possible to avoid overstaying. This could seriously affect future applications to the UK and other countries.

Contact us

If you have any outstanding questions around your Student Visa, contact the Student Support team

Email us at
[email protected]
RCA Kensington cafe