MA and MRes Application Process
Applications for 2020/21 entry are now open.
You can apply for your Programme of interest via our online application portal.
We accept applications from prospective students from all over the world. We welcome applications from talented artists and designers who have the potential, commitment and ambition to make a difference in the art and design world.
Below is a step-by-step guide to submitting your application for an MA or MRes Programme. Please read this information carefully before you make an application, as we have updated our application process.
Round 2 applications are now open.
Round 2 applications deadline: Wednesday 5 February 2020, 11:59pm (GMT)
Interview period: Monday 9 – Friday 20 March 2020
Notification of the outcome of your application: from Friday 27 March 2020
Deadline for accepting your offer: Monday 13 April 2020
How to submit your application
Once you’ve reviewed and selected the right Programme and checked College-wide entry requirements, you can visit our online application portal to begin your application. If you don’t yet have an account, you’ll need to create one.
After you have set up an account, follow these steps:
Stage 1 – Application Form
- Choose your Programme
- Provide the following information:
• Predicted or achieved grades in previous qualifications and/or evidence of equivalent professional experience
• Evidence of English language proficiency, if English is not your first language
• Context in which qualifications have been achieved or are being completed
Once you have completed stage 1, you will receive an email with instructions on stage 2.
Stage 2 – Application Portfolio
- Watch the Head of Programme video and read the guidance notes explaining what the Head of Programme would like to see in your portfolio.
- Upload your portfolio following the guidance provided. Depending on the Programme, your portfolio may include files of your work and any written descriptions, explanations or justifications required.
- Provide a 300-word written statement about your motivation to study on the programme.
- Complete the critical challenge – a short video, up to two minutes, of yourself talking to the camera about your personal creative journey.
- Upload one written reference
Full details on how to apply, including specific requirements for the portfolio, statement and critical challenge, are included in the application portal. Please review these requirements carefully before submitting your application.
Please note that we reserve the right to reject any application, or withdraw an offer, if any part of the application is identified as being plagiarised or otherwise fraudulent.
What happens next
Reviewing your application
Your application will be reviewed by our academic staff.
In a small number of instances, it may not be possible to make a decision based on an application alone. In these cases, you will be invited to attend an interview either in person or by Skype. Receiving a request for interview does not make you any more or less likely to receive an offer of a place. Interviews will take place between Monday 9 – Friday 20 March 2020. Your invitation letter will contain full details of the interview and what you need to prepare. Please ensure you are available for interview before submitting your application.
Notifying you of your application outcome
Once your application has been reviewed, you’ll receive one of the following from 9 January 2020 if applying in round 1, or from 27 March 2020 if applying in round 2:
- an offer of a place
- an offer of a place on our Graduate Diploma Art & Design pre-master's Programme, which we have designed especially to help transition students to full MA programmes (with March and July 2020 start dates)
- a rejection letter
The timetable is the same if you have been invited to attend an interview.
Accepting your offer
If you receive an offer of a place, you will be required to accept your offer before Monday 3 February 2020 for round 1 or Monday 13 April 2020 for round 2. You will then need to pay a non-refundable deposit to secure your place. This deposit will be offset against your tuition fees.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, you can get in touch with us at [email protected].
We also strongly recommend that you attend one of our Open Days if you’re able to. These give you the opportunity to view College facilities, meet Programme staff and find out more about the application process and requirements.
Any queries about the application process should be addressed to:
+44 (0)20 7590 4444
+44 (0)20 7590 4444