Symposium, Showcase and Award Ceremony
Hosted by HHCD Director, Rama Gheerawo the first event in The Helen Hamlyn Centre of Design's inclusive design week showcases new projects from the Centre, unveiling winning student work in our special Awards Ceremony and kickstarting conversations on inclusive design.
Watch: Symposium, Showcase and Award Ceremony
Design in a Pandemic: Work on the Front Line
What was it like on the front line when the pandemic hit? How did design help? What does this mean for the future of healthcare and what role does design play in this?
This session will draw on rapid response design work, in discussion with clinicians on the front line, exploring the challenges and future of design in healthcare.
- Jonathan West, Senior Research Fellow, HHCD
- Dr Chris Subbe, Science Fellow, The Health Foundation
- Dr Lena Ciric, Senior Lecturer, UCL
- Juliette Poggi, Researcher, HHCD
Watch: Design in a Pandemic: Work on the Front Line
Age & Diversity: HHCD, New Work and the Design Age Institute
Join Dr Chris McGinley, leader of the Helen Hamlyn Centre of Design’s Age & Diversity Research Space and Colum Lowe, Director of the Design Age Institute, for a one hour session which includes short and sharp overviews of three projects from HHCD researchers, dealing with housing and community innovation for over 55s at Guinness Care; wearables for kids with ADHD with King’s College; and a project in partnership with Heart n Soul at The Wellcome Hub exploring inclusive futures led by a co-design team that brings first-hand experiences of learning disabilities and autism to the table.
- Colum Lowe, Director, Design Age Institute
- Dr Chris McGinley, Senior Research Fellow, HHCD
- Imran Nazerali, Research Associate, HHCD
- Stephen Douch, Research Associate, HHCD
- Dr William Renel, Research Associate
Watch: Age & Diversity: HHCD, New Work and the Design Age Institute
HHCD Inclusive Design for Social Impact
Our panel discussion will reflect 2020 as a time of protest and racial awakening. We will ask … how can we ensure that diverse cultures are valued, enabled and represented? We will look at how to expand the definition of inclusivity and hear global examples of how this is being effected. This session will expand inclusive design beyond its current confines.
- Sean Donahue, Visiting Scholar
- Rama Gheerawo, Director, HHCD
- Prof Jo-Anne Bichard, Professor , HHCD
- Dr Gail Ramster, Senior Research Associate, HHCD
- Angela Bains, Co-Founder and Strategic Director of TransformExp
- Priya Sahathevan, Head Counsel for the legal team at Sky
- Gabriella Gómez-Mont, Director and Founder of Laboratorio Para La Ciudad
Watch: HHCD Inclusive Design for Social Impact
Inclusive Design: Business Value and Pathways
This Design.Different session, chaired by HHCD Innovation Fellow, Dr Ninela Ivanova, brings together:
- Professor Jeremy Myerson, HHCD Founding Director and Helen Hamlyn Chair of Design
- G Subramanian (Subbu), Chief Technology Officer for UK & Ireland, TATA Consultancy Services; and
- Dr Melanie Flory, psychologist, neuroscientist and Founding Director of MindRheo.
A panel discussion to explore the role of design in evolving business models and processes post-pandemic recovery, and how to integrate inclusivity thinking and practice in the entire chain of solutions findings and realisation.
Watch: Inclusive Design: Business Value and Pathways
Creative Leaders Circle: a Call to Action
The Creative Leaders Circle (CLC) is a coming together of people across all ages, abilities, genders, cultures, job titles and so forth, to envisage, enact and enable new models and pathways for global leadership. Creative Leadership is not just a strategy, or an abstract concept. It’s a transformational and inclusive process for everyone to contribute, participate and apply in their life and work.
This session is filled with diverse voices and perspectives and a previously untold story from HHCD Director, Rama Gheerawo about bringing together the three values of empathy, clarity and creativity!
- Rama Gheerawo, Director, HHCD
- Dr Melanie Flory, Founding Director, MindRheo
- Christopher Patnoe, Head of Accessibility, Google
- Irene Mbari-Kirika, Founder and Executive Director, inABLE
- Dr Ninela Ivanova, Innovation Fellow, HHCD
- Ivelina Gadzehva, Inclusive Design Researcher
Watch: Creative Leaders Circle: a Call to Action