The RCA works closely with local groups, residents, schools and businesses to develop collaborative projects and create a positive impact in the social and cultural fabric of our community.
We foster opportunities for local communities to engage in creative arts and design practice and research of the highest level, and aim to create a welcoming and inclusive place for all those who want to learn, participate and experience what the RCA has to offer.
Our community engagement work falls into two main areas – ongoing community engagement and developing collaborative community projects led by community interest and priorities. Key activities include:
- Producing and disseminating a regular bespoke local community newsletter for residents in Wandsworth (sign up here).
- Holding regular meetings with significant local community partners
- Being an active member in local networks such as What Next? Wandsworth and Nine Elms Cultural Steering Group.
- Running free community tours for local residents and groups interested in the RCA’s graduate Show and Work-in-progress Show
- Co-creating a programme of exhibitions and talks with local partners
- Offering visits to schools to talk about creative careers and pathways
- Participation in area-wide and pan-London events such as Open House London, London Design Festival, London Festival of Architecture, London Craft Week, Wandsworth Arts Fringe and Wandsworth Artists’ Open House
- An annual Christmas event for the community organised in partnership with local group Battersea Creative Quarter.
We work closely with local partners, including the London Borough of Wandsworth and the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham, to ensure that local priorities are considered when developing new projects.
Working with Young People and Schools
The College has a longstanding commitment to working with schools and young people, and has established inspirational and innovative exchanges between young people, their teachers and the RCA community. Building on our previous ReachOutRCA programme, we currently work with schools in the London Boroughs of Wandsworth, Hammersmith & City, Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea – the four boroughs where our campuses are based.
The RCA is a Lead Partner in Creative Wandsworth, a newly established Cultural Education Partnership in the London Borough of Wandsworth. Creative Wandsworth seeks to empower young people to shape creative activity in the borough, building a better strategic relationship with schools, working with young people in areas of need and providing regular teacher networking & training opportunities.
Get involved: If you’re a teacher interested in our Schools programme, email our Community Engagement Manager.
New Battersea Campus
The development of our Battersea Campus offers the College an opportunity to foster a stronger and more sustainable relationship with our immediate environment in Battersea, as well as the wider community across Wandsworth Borough.
Three key Cultural Principles radiate from our new site and seek to ensure we play an integrated role in the social and cultural fabric of the local community: activation, partnership and engagement. These principles have led to a specific set of designs and proposals that are either embedded within the core building design, emerge through relationships with neighbouring projects and organisations, or build on existing RCA relationships and initiatives in the borough that together create a unique contribution to the London Borough of Wandsworth’s wider schools and community engagement work.
Get involved: We produce a regular bespoke local community newsletter for residents in Wandsworth – sign up to receive this here.
The community engagement programme is currently supported by the College and has recently received funding from the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation. ReachOutRCA has historically been funded by The Durham Wharf Foundation.
Community Engagement Manager
The RCA’s first Community Engagement Manager started in early 2018 with a specific local focus, supporting and enhancing our existing engagement activities and to help us fulfil our vision.
Community Engagement Manager