RCA New Battersea Campus
The RCA’s strategic plan articulates a bold vision to develop the next generation of creative entrepreneurs by marrying arts and design with science, technology, mathematics and medicine. The new campus is the manifestation of this academic vision, enabling computer scientists, writers and curators, robotics engineers, sculptors and product designers to collaborate and advance new technologies and designs, ensuring the UK continues to lead the world in creativity and innovation.
Designed by world-renowned architects Herzog & de Meuron, the new campus is the largest investment in new, transformational space in the RCA’s 180+ year history. Opening during the 2021/22 academic year, it will add 16,500m2 to the footprint of the College, including new public realm for the Battersea community. It will transform the RCA by delivering enhanced workshop and studio space for students, and creating a meeting point for talent and ideas with new social and educational spaces.
The new campus will be the home of the future academic vision of the RCA – a future of making, of pushing boundaries and defying expectations. It will enable the College’s ambition to incorporate STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects into what has traditionally been an art and design university – expanding our breadth of research and embracing a cross-disciplinary dialogue that has always been a fundamental element of the RCA.
Additional facilities at the new campus will comprise:
● Four storeys of studios and workshops, designed as spaces of creative transfer and collaboration for Sculpture, Contemporary Art Practice, Design Products and Robotics.
● A double-height, multifunctional hangar space at the heart of the campus, for events, exhibitions and large-scale making.
● The Rausing Research & Innovation Building – eight floors of dedicated research space and flexible testing and assembly areas for Materials Science and Intelligent Mobility.
● The Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design – undertaking design research and projects with industry that contribute to improving people’s lives.
● InnovationRCA – the RCA’s centre for enterprise, entrepreneurship, incubation and business support, housed in the Clore Innovation Centre.
● Environmental sustainability delivered through integrated design, low-carbon technologies and new trees planted across the campus.