Head of Programme Welcome
MA Intelligent Mobility is a new 15-month, 240 credit programme that will succeed the existing MA Vehicle Design. It will be launched in 2017/18 alongside the Intelligent Mobility Lab, a new multidisciplinary research centre dedicated to the future of transportation design, systems and urban mobility, led by Director and inaugural Chair in Intelligent Mobility Professor Dale Harrow. MA Intelligent Mobility aims to place the RCA in the vanguard of the ‘third age’ of automotive design.
The MA Intelligent Mobility programme will comprise two distinct specialisms: Automotive Transitions and Urban Mobility. Automotive Transitions students will focus on using design thinking to develop innovative forms of transportation, such as autonomous vehicles. Urban Mobility students will focus on designing the systems and frameworks that enable people to move through hyper-connected cities. The programme will also acknowledge and explore solutions for the 80 per cent of people in developing or emerging economies who do not have access to transport.
The programme offers:
- a strong tutor team with diverse and high-level practitioner experience
- varied creative and cultural backgrounds within the MA specialisms
- close ties to the Intelligent Mobility Lab, a new multidisciplinary research centre
- extensive industrial relationships through sponsored projects, internships, portfolio reviews, trips and bursaries/awards. Recent collaborations have been with organisations including: Audi, Bentley, Citroen, Hitachi Rail Europe, Jaguar, Kia, EXA (aerodynamic software), Sabic and TATA
- close relationships with other RCA programmes, including Fashion, Textiles, Sculpture and Innovation Design Engineering
- a west-London location at the heart of a uniquely diverse vehicle, design and cultural environment
- alumni in numerous top design positions globally.
"We encourage innovation with practicality, marrying experience and practice to creative thinking, blending teaching and learning seamlessly in a climate of informed opinion, supported by in-depth research, creative cross-disciplinary experience, teamwork and academic excellence."