Service Design Masterclass
Dates: 7, 8, 14 & 15 September 2020
Duration: four morning sessions (3 hours each session)
Mode: online (interactive)
Location: RCA Kensington
Every organisation can be better. It can serve customers better, adapt to change better and run systems and operations better and have better ideas. Service design has been the quiet revolution in business and the public sector for over ten years. By applying a human centred design processes with system thinking and operational pragmatism, service design delivers better customer experiences, successful innovation and business value and has successfully transformed services from banking to healthcare, transportation to government departments.
The Royal College of Art is a global pioneer in the teaching of MA-level service design and has successfully trained a new generation of practitioners who are driving transformational change. Our graduates work at Google, Facebook, BT, EY, the Ministry of Justice and the Cabinet Office as well as the world’s leading innovation and design consultancies.
Service Design is driving change through co-creation and collaboration and you can be part of this too. This introductory executive masterclass will teach you the theory and practice of the essence of the approach and how to apply practical tools for effective service design, whatever your industry or organisation.
Personal and organisational benefits
The benefits to you and your organisation include:
- access to global best practice in service design
- learn empathic understanding of users/customers
- return to your organisation with new techniques and strategies to put into practice
- experience critical, creative and insightful thinking
- interact and network with peers from different backgrounds and functions.
You will learn:
- how to apply service design methodology and frameworks to create better customer experiences
- real world applications of service design and how it is transforming organisations
- creative design techniques.
How will I learn?The programme is delivered over four days and consists of four modules:
- Introduction to service design with examples of the impact of innovative services
- Overview of service design methodology and approach
- On-line service design tools - white boards, digital post-its and social media
- Setting a challenge – define a challenge and opportunity to bring service design to life
- Who are you designing for? - customers, employees and stakeholders
- Gaining user insight – human-centred research methods, service safaris, Jobs To Be Done and other experiential research methods
- Customer journey mapping – understanding end-to-end experiences and the systems that create them, using ‘design thinking’ methodology and the double diamond framework
- Analysis of Pain Points - frame the brief
- Learn creative design techniques – co-creation, brainstorming and concept creation
- Visualising concepts and rapid prototyping – bringing concepts to life, storyboarding, sketching, role play and mock ups to visualise ideas and be ready to test with ourselves and end users
Module 4: Concept Delivery and Measuring Success
- Service blue-printing and delivering change across your organisation
- Experimentation, prototyping and piloting for deployment
- System Thinking and cultural change
- Presentation of design concepts, delivery plan and metrics for success
Who should attend?
Anyone interested in transforming their organisation through the application of service design, including:
- service delivery teams to improve customer experience
- private and public sector executives and senior managers to reframe and solve their issues and deliver opportunities
- designers, who to be more strategic and learn new tools
- entrepreneurs who want to deliver their ideas
- innovation teams who want to deliver effective innovation
- customer experience and service commissioners to deliver better services
It would be helpful to have a basic understanding of human centred design principles and design thinking and comfortable with new digital tools. You will be sent relevant papers and articles in advance to prepare.
Professor Clive Grinyer is the Head of Programme for Service Design, where he leads the development of this pioneering programme developing service transformations for business and the public sector.
Clive has led award-winning design teams developing services and customer experiences for companies around the globe. He started in design consultancy Ideo in London and San Francisco before co-founding design company Tangerine with Martin Darbyshire and future Apple design chief and RCA Chancellor Jony Ive. He went onto build and lead design teams for Orange, Samsung and Cisco and was Director of Service Design at Barclays, where he pioneered service design to transform financial services.
As Director for Design at the Design Council, he created the Design Demand programme taking design into over a thousand UK companies and as a consultant has worked with the Cabinet Office Policy Lab and at Nesta.
In 2018 Clive was named in Creative Review 's Top 50 as 'a passionate advocate for the transformational potential of design for some three decades. Today’s focus on the value of digital product design and on design’s value in leading customer experience in the UK is, in large part, due to his work.
Clive is an acknowledged expert in service design, design thinking, digital and technology innovation, speaks at national and international conferences, write articles and blogs and has published Smart Design, a book on design and technology. He was a trustee of the Royal Society of Arts and is Chair of the DBA Design Effectiveness Awards.
Disclaimer: The information given is accurate at the time of publication, however, the RCA reserves the right to amend the described courses as circumstances dictate.
+44 (0)20 7590 4279
Please register your interest to download the full course description.
"An excellent, concise and efficient way of learning from true experts. I was inspired to bring learnings back with me and work to become a better service designer."Laura Eaton
Reed Online Customer Researcher, May 2019
"Service design is the crux of business transformation."Senior Assistant Director
DesignSingapore Council, November 2018
"Service Design is transforming organisations across the globe. The RCA is at the centre of a new generation of user-centred, system-smart and delivery-focused talent. This is an opportunity to understand how to apply service design thinking into the heart of your organisation."Professor Clive Grinyer
Head of Service Design Programme