Home Grown is a bio-based touchpad creating a global impact on e-waste whilst promoting local resources, craft and communities.
At a glance
- Aiming to reduce small appliance products with 70% bio-based materials sourced within a local region from regenerative farming practices.
- Aiming to reduce the carbon footprint of the multinational ingredient list within technologies today by eliminating the mining of virgin metals and reducing the manufacturing to a localised area.
- Product design and materials adapt to the area it’s made within, providing jobs and opportunities in communities across the globe.
- Engaging directly with the consumer to inspire behavioural change in the way we consume and interact with our products.
In 2019 the UN reported that globally over 53 million tonnes of electronic products were thrown away. This is set to grow to over 74.7 million tonnes within the next 10 years.
82% of e-waste is unaccounted for, with environmental impact varying from region to region.
Around 16.8 MT of this waste is small equipment. It’s this product area that Home Grown will initially be focusing on.
Home Grown is a biobased technology striving to fix the disaster that is e-waste and the current end of life for consumer electronics.
We’re looking to replace 70% of the components in our products with a bio based alternative, with the long term goal being to replace 85% within the next 10 years.
Our circular production model utilizes food waste, local materials sourced from regenerative farming and local manufacturing to reduce the carbon footprint of the production process for consumer electronics.
Our products adapt to a regions' materials and local craft techniques. Creating a pluri-vese design application within the way we consume and interact with technology.
As an innovative and planet positive technology, we are meeting 6 out of 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- RCA Graduate Show 2021
- CHI 2021 conference
- Global Bio Summit 5.0 2021