Please upgrade your browser

For the best experience, you should upgrade your browser. Visit our accessibility page to view a list of supported browsers along with links to download the latest version.

Protecting Your Immigration Status

As a result of the recent immigration changes, both students and universities are required to comply with Home Office requirements under the Student Route of the Points Based System. 

As a student, if you fail to comply with these conditions it may result in you being reported to the Home Office, which could result in your immigration permission being cancelled. 

The College also has to comply with these conditions. Failure to do so could result in the loss of the HEI Sponsor License, without which the College would not be able to retain current or register new international students.

The following is a summary of the responsibilities of the student and the college. Students are also strongly advised to read Appendix ST: Student immigration rules and the Student Route guidance for further information.

Student Responsibilities

As a student you are responsible for:

  • Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card within 10 days of arriving in the UK 
  • Checking the information on the BRP card is correct
  • Providing the College with a copy of your passport and visa/biometric ID Card
  • Informing the College of any changes to your immigration status or personal details (i.e. address and telephone number)
  • Re-enrolling on your programme on time at the start of each academic year
  • Attending lectures, seminars, tutorials and crits as required for your programme of study. You must inform your Programme Administrator of any temporary absence due to illness etc
  • Informing the College of any intentions to defer, suspend or withdraw from your programme of study
  • Leaving the UK should you defer, suspend or withdraw from your programme of study
  • Keeping up to date with immigration rules, regulations and application requirements
  • Keeping your immigration permission up to date and applying for an extension in good time before your existing visa runs out
  • Complying with your existing immigration conditions (i.e. not working more hours per week than you are allowed)

College Responsibilities

The College has the following responsibilities:

  • Issue Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) where it is satisfied that students intend to and are able to follow the programme of study and meet the requirements for obtaining a student visa
  • Taking and keeping copies of students' passports, immigration status documents, visas or biometric ID Cards
  • Keeping up to date copies of students' contact details
  • Checking that students have registered on their programme of study and to report any student who fails to do so to the Home Office
  • Monitoring each student's attendance and report any unauthorised absence to the Home Office
  • Reporting leaves of absence, suspension or withdrawals of study to the Home Office
  • Reporting any information relating to a student failing to comply with their immigration conditions (i.e. working too many hours or overstaying their visa)

Withdrawal of Visa Sponsorship

The RCA will normally withdraw Visa Sponsorship of a student:

  • Whose studies are terminated due to failure to make academic progress
  • Who do not attend and participate in their studies as required for their programme of study
  • Who have taken leave of absence for medical, academic or personal reasons
  • Who fail to keep the College up to date and informed as to their immigration status as required
  • Who are found to have failed to comply with the terms of their visa (ie. overstaying or working too many hours)
  • Who are without current leave to remain and have not made an 'in time' application to extend
  • Who have had an application refused by the Home Office and no longer have leave to remain or right of appeal

If visa sponsorship is withdrawn the student will be de-registered from their course and will not be able to attend College until visa sponsorship has been re-instated.

The RCA is legally required to report all withdrawals of visa sponsorship to the Home Office immediately.

Students then have 60 days in which to leave the UK.

After You Arrive

Biometric Residence Permit Cards and Passports:

  • Keep your BRP and passport card in a safe, secure location. Do not carry your BRP card unless you are travelling
  • Make copies of your passport and BRP card, hardcopy or digital are fine
  • If you feel you must carry your BRP card, keep the BRP card separate from the rest of your wallet

Police Registration:

If you are from one of the follow countries below remember to register with the police at the Overseas Visitors Record Office. It should also be indicated on your vignette (the entry sticker in your passport) if you need to register with the police.

Afghanistan. Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan. Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen

If You Move: 

  • If you have a UK visa and move, you must notify the Home Office. So, if your accommodation address differs from the address in your visa application, notify the Home Office using the hyperlink. 
  • If you had to register with the police, you must also notify them if you move. You can go to the Overseas Visitors Record Office or your local police station if you move after registering at the Overseas Visitors Record Office.
  • The RCA is required by the Home Office to keep up to date records as your visa sponsor. Please help us by reporting your new address if you move on the RCA intranet using the Student Letter Request form.


For more specific advice please contact the Student Support Office.


Student Support Office

+44 (0)20 7590 4140

[email protected]