Please upgrade your browser

For the best experience, you should upgrade your browser. Visit our accessibility page to view a list of supported browsers along with links to download the latest version.

Information for Students on a Part-time Visa

In January 2018, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) announced changes to the Immigration rules that allow universities to issue a CAS to sponsor students to study on a part-time Master’s degree course.

This  part-time visa is not suitable for all part-time courses. If you are interested in studying on a part-time Programme, please discuss the suitability of the course for part-time study with the Programme admissions team and Student Support.  The UKVI imposes a number of restrictions on part-time studies on a student visa that may mean it is not a suitable visa route for your course or is not an appropriate visa for you to hold.

Restrictions for Part-time Students

  • No work is permitted at any capacity (including placements or work experience paid or unpaid)
  • You cannot work remotely for an overseas company while in the UK
  • You cannot bring/have any dependants in the UK (such as a visa-dependant partner or children)
  • You cannot switch from full-time study to part-time study without leaving the UK to apply for a new student visa
  • You must meet all visa requirements, including financial and English language

The University’s Sponsor licence responsibilities still apply, including attendance-monitoring and reporting duties

Duration of a Part-time Student Visa

You would be granted a visa for the length of your course plus two months if your course is less than a year in duration, or your course length plus 4 months if your course is longer than a year.

Required Documents 

Applications can be made online through either one of two links: Visa4UK or Access UK 

  • The CAS you have received from the RCA,
  • Passport(s)
  • Passport photographs. (They have to meet the UKVI requirements) 
  • Original copies of the academic qualifications you have used to obtain an unconditional offer from the RCA. You can submit either your original certificate or original transcript of results. If these are not in English, you must provide 'a fully certified translation' by a professional translator. English language certificate if applicable. 
  • Application fee of £348 
  • Financial Evidence (see details below). 
  • NHS Health Charge £300 for each year for the duration of your stay plus 4 months which will include an additional £75. To find out how much your NHS surcharge will be please click here.
  •  A TB Medical Certificate (if applicable): students from some countries are required to have a TB test as part of their visa application process. To find out if this applies to you, check the  Home Office website.
All documents must be original and any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be accompanied by a full translation that can be checked by the UKVI.

Financial Evidence 

You will need evidence that you can pay for your tuition fees and living expenses of £1,265 per month for nine months £11,385 depending on your circumstances. The required funds have to be in your account for a 28 consecutive day period.

  • The bank statements must be addressed to you for past 1 month.
  • Electronic bank statements printed from an internet banking account can be accepted but they will need to be stamped by the bank on every single page.  
  • The statement should also have the bank name and logo, account name & number and the amount available.

We have produced a sample bank letter and statements that you may find useful.

Please use the currency conversion website OANDA to make sure that the funds are at the correct level.


You might need to find short-term accommodation every time you return to the UK for any taught aspects of the course. The following search databases are useful for finding short-term accommodation

If you have any queries about the visa application process, you should contact: [email protected]


Student Support Office
+44 (0)20 7590 4140
[email protected]