Please upgrade your browser

For the best experience, you should upgrade your browser. Visit our accessibility page to view a list of supported browsers along with links to download the latest version.

Deposits and Financial Considerations


When renting a property in the UK most landlords and letting agents will require students to have a 'guarantor'. A guarantor is usually a parent or legal guardian (although it can be someone else) who signs an agreement stating that he or she will be responsible for the rent, if for some reason the student is unable to or does not pay the rent.

Most landlords and letting agents will not accept a guarantor who is not residing in the UK.

Please note: the RCA cannot act as a guarantor for students.


In cases where international students are not able to provide a guarantor, most landlords and letting agents will require three to six months rent in advance, in order to secure the property.

Therefore you will need to ensure that you have sufficient money available to you when you arrive. If you are unable to provide a guarantor or pay six months rent up front you may find it very difficult to secure a property.

There are organisations that can help international and EU students by acting as a guarantor on their behalf for an additional fee.

Please note that the above is provided for information purposes only and is not a recommendation by the RCA.

Agency Fees

If you find a property via a letting agent you may be required to pay agency fees on top of the deposits. Not all letting agents charge these fees but many do and they can range from £50 to £200. Agencies fees are often to cover:

  • Reference checks
  • Property check in costs
  • Additional administrative costs


Student Support Office
+44 (0)20 7590 4140
[email protected]

"Please note that the RCA cannot act as a guarantor for students."