Dr Mortimer and Theresa Sackler Foundation Funds New Painting Building
11 September 2009: The Dr Mortimer and Theresa Sackler Foundation has donated a major gift to the Royal College of Art to help fund its new Painting building in Battersea.
The new structure will have an official opening in November 2009, and will be named the Sackler Building in honour of Dr Mortimer and Theresa Sackler. The painting department is scheduled to make the move from its current home in Kensington in December.
The Sackler Building forms the first phase of a new campus, which will occupy a 4,300 sqm site to the north of the recently refurbished Sculpture Building on Howie Street. Following planning consent in January 2008, a 1950s warehouse has been redeveloped, to provide accommodation with a gross internal area of 1230 sqm for sixty students.
A saw-tooth steel frame has created a row of double height, top-lit studios and a row of top-lit mezzanine studios with side-lit studios beneath. A wide gallery corridor and large seminar room will contribute to the first class facilities. The building has been designed by architects Haworth Tompkins, who worked closely with the Head of Painting, Professor David Rayson.
Construction of Phase Two of the Battersea campus, the Dyson Building, will take place between 2010 and 2012. This will house the Fine Art departments of printmaking and photography as well as a large column-free gallery, a state-of-the-art Lecture Theatre, conference facilities and incubator units for start-up designers.
Following the completion of this second phase of the RCA’s new development, the College aims to construct a new home for the Applied Art departments on the same site.
Dr Paul Thompson, Rector of the Royal College of Art, said: "We are extremely grateful for the generous support of The Dr. Mortimer and Theresa Sackler Foundation. This commitment expands the Foundation’s significant contribution to Arts education in this country and will enable us to build an exceptional building with outstanding facilities.”