Juliette is a multidisciplinary designer and researcher with a broad professional experience.
She has been working on projects that improve inclusivity and accessibility of services, products and physical spaces through design. She is a visual designer by training who has integrated inclusive design methodology and approach into her practice.
She has been part of the Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design since 2017, and also joined the Design Age Institute team in 2020. Juliette has been working on projects which looked at: accessible technology, wellbeing in the work environment, personal electric vehicles, inclusive chat-bots and wayfinding in emergency hospitals during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Alongside her role in the research centres at the RCA Juliette is a visiting lecturer at the University for the Creative Arts.
Juliette pursues her visual design interest through her personal artistic practice which have been exhibited in the UK and abroad.
Juliette is an RCA graduate (MA in Information Experience Design, 2017) and a Politecnico di Milano graduate (BA in Visual Communication, 2013).
Current and recent projects
Air Control Re-Imagined (2018–20): Using Creative Leadership to create a ‘Gold Standard’ Operations Control Centre for an airline focusing on people, environment and UX. Funder: TATA
Prism: Perspectives of Design in China (2019): The project reimagined the Chinese family car in the light of ongoing transitions in the automotive industry including automation, Artificial intelligence and electrification.
Accessible Interaction: Inclusive Interface Design (2018): Tackling how vocal assistive interfaces can include people of all ages and abilities. Funder: TATA
I’m not a Toaster: Designing a chatbot personality (2018): The project aims to investigate how vocal accessibility can be better implemented across the fields of banking and navigation. Funder: TATA
Publications, exhibitions, other outcomes
Spencer J.,Poggi J., Gheerawo R., (2018) Designing Out Stereotypes in Artificial Intelligence: Involving users in the personality design of a digital assistant, Goodtechs conference, Bologna, IT
Ivanova N., Gheerawo R., Poggi, J., Gadzheva I., Ramster G., Towards a Gold Standard Operations Control Centre (OCC): Applying Creative Leadership principles in the re-design of an OCC at a leading international airline, The 22nd dmi: Academic Design Management Conference Proceedings, 2020 (1). pp. 273-291. ISSN 2640-4702
- Poggi J. (2020) Design.Different Week: Design in a Pandemic: Work on the Front Line, Royal College of Art, London
- Poggi J. (2019) Diversity of voices: Neuroscientific and Experiential Perspectives, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, UCL, London
- Poggi J. (2019) Breakout Track: Preparing for the Future, Tata Innovation Forum, London
- Poggi J. (2019) Inclusive Design, Information Experience Design Symposium, Royal College of Art, London
- Poggi J. (2018) The Future of Voice, Call and Response, London
- Poggi J. (2018), Media through Method, Fashion Promotion & Imaging UCA, Epsom
- Poggi J. (2017) Selling the Selfie, University for the Creative Arts, Epsom
- Poggi J. (2017) Perfect Body Pose, Selling the Selfie, Fashion Promotion & Imaging UCA, Epsom
- Royal College of Art Final Show, London, 2017
- IED, Ha Miffal, Jerusalem, 2017
- Memories of the Future Exhibition, Machines Room, London, 2016
- Winner of Royal Overseas League 150 Years Illustration, London, 2015
- Winner of Full Dome Movie Festival, Société des Arts Téchnologiques, Montreal, 2018
- Winner of Service Design of EXPO Village, Milan, 2013