Hedi is experiencing strange things. While her granddaughter is visiting, she suddenly embarks on a hiking journey, to the deepest parts of the Alps, revealing the reason for her devoted attachment to her hiking shoes.
A story about Hedi's attempt to retain her identity and autonomy.
School of Communication
MA Animation, 2019
+44 (0)7826289319+43 67762194788
Kathrin Steinbacher finds depth in the vast variety of people, opinions and cultures by using narrative and documentary aspects as an essential component throughout her work; exploring it in its different forms and mediums. During her years of experimentation her preferred way of telling stories has fallen on animation and narrative illustration. Motivated by talking about difficult topics and raising awareness, she often uses observation to draw, and later bring it to life, by having a strong focus on design and characters. Her narratives are often inspired by personal experiences.
- BA Illustration Animation, Kingston University, London, 2017; Diploma in Art and Design, Kingston University, London, 2014
- Graphic designer, Bezirksblaetter Salzburg Gmbh/Newspaper, Salzburg, Germany, 2009–2013; Freelance animator/illustrator, London, 2017–2019; Motion designer, Mindful Education, London, 2018–2019
- Exhibition Romulus-Candea, Picture Book 'The Magic Pen', Design Forum, Vienna, 2015; More. Collaborative Illustration Animation Show, Oxo Tower Bargehouse, London, 2017; Exhibition Romulus-Candea, Picture Book 'Der Krallowich', Design Forum, Vienna, 2017; Exhibition Picture Book, 'Der Krallowich', Frankfurter Book Fair, Germany, 2017; Exhibition Picture Book, 'Der Krallowich‘, Vienna Book Fair, 2017; Exhibition Buntspecht, Berlin, 2017
- Romulus Candea Children’s Book Prize, shortlisted for 'The Magic Pen', 2015; 'Sprungbrettwoche', selected illustrator for picture book competition week, Schneiderhäusl with Renate Habinger, 2016; Kingston Animation Prize, Penguin Random House, 2017; Romulus Candea Children’s Book Prize, shortlisted for my book 'The Bogeyman/ Der Krallowich', 2017; Best Short Animation for my film 'Freedom', Carmarthen Bay Film Festival, 2018; Best Austrian Animation for my film 'Film: The Woman Who Turned Into A Castle', 2 Days Animation Festival, Vienna, 2018
- Speaker at 'Under the Radar' Conference and Festival, paper: 'Below the surface. Abstraction in Animation: An exploration of animations unique ability to visualise the experiential', Vienna, 2019; Speaker, Women in Animation, Kingston University Degree Show 2018
- Picture Book 'Der Krallowich', 2019