Dr Jiayu Wu was appointed Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Design Fellow to conduct a thorough review of UK university-led design driven research into mobility innovation.
At a glance
- What is Design Research in the context of the Future of Mobility?
- The current UK Design Research landscape in relation to the Future of Mobility
- Cutting edge research topics and knowledge gaps for the Future of Mobility
- Where are centres of excellence and how to improve access to them?
- How to support Design Research and design researchers to develop and address the challenges of Future of Mobility?
The review identifies where research communities are located; the challenges they face developing ideas into funded research and forming appropriate consortia; how they reinforce the impact of research in economic, societal and technological transformations; and what are the obstacles and benefits that design-led approaches drive in their research.
The project conducts research including reviewing publications and funding schemes, email surveys reaching out to individual researchers, focus groups collecting research details, industry surveys and visits, meetings involving government departments and organisations, and in-depth case studies.
The research outputs show insights through the lens of design professionals about design research in the context of the Future of Mobility – key research topics, where design is and is not used, emerging areas of design research in mobility, collaborations between design and other disciplines, the commercial value of design research, identified skill-sets for mobility design researchers, and supporting infrastructure.
Ask a question
Get in touch to find out more about our research projects.