This IN SESSION talk covered intriguing cutting-edge automotive and transport innovation topics around Intelligent Mobility (IM) including:
- how IM differs to traditional automotive approaches
- state of the art IM design and research projects
- key IM innovation methods and design principles
Through conversation with Intelligent Mobility design academic Dr Jiayu Wu, vehicle and automotive design practitioner Martin Uhlarik and transport system innovator Rikesh Shah, the panel unpacked puzzles around intelligent vehicles, systems, services and urban environments that are hindering the transformation of an automotive industry rapidly moving towards autonomous, electric, shared and connected mobility futures.
Interactive polls informed us that:
- 62% of the attendees think that Intelligent Mobility is putting human experience at the centre of transport decision making
- 65% reported that design considers all aspects of users' needs and plays an integral role in mobility related businesses and R&D
- 60% believe that design invents new solutions which will eventually enhance technologies and the way people look at problems, followed by 48% who voted for design being the key origin of mobility innovation.
Head of Global Design, Tata Motors. Martin is an experienced automobile designer with deep domain knowledge of design, a keen understanding of international trends and extensive operational experience with leading automobile companies around the world. He leads teams at the three Tata Motors Design centres in Coventry (UK), Turin (Italy) and Pune (India). He has been in the vehicle industry as leading designer for more than 25 years, working with Tata, Nissan, SAIC, Skoda and other automobile companies.
Head of Open Innovation, Transport for London. Rikesh leads Transport for London (TfL)’s open innovation activities to help deliver London’s goals. Through TfL’s Innovation Hub, he leads TfL’s open innovation focusing on public & private sector collaboration to create new value. Ground breaking projects with start-ups, academia and corporates include innovative data connected solutions, tools encouraging walking in London, air quality and road safety.
Reader in Intelligent Mobility Design, Royal College of Art. Jiayu is an innovation methods educator for technology and business integration, and a professional user experience designer for the new mobility and automobile industries.