Philip is a practicing designer, researcher and futurist looking at posthuman identity and the future internet.
Philip is Systems Tutor on the Fashion MA programme. This means taking a systems approach to broaden the vocabulary of fashion to include systems of self, value, ethics, capital and making.
His transdisciplinary practice spans fashion, games, performance, technology and publishing.
Research interests currently centre on Posthuman Identity, where he leads the “Beyond Human” project with Zowie Broach. This project is developing a transdisciplinary international network to consider what Posthuman Identity means for Design.
Other research interests include: The Future/Spatial Internet, 3D Appearance Capture & Modelling for Fashion Applications, XR & Virtual Worlds, 3D Bodyscanning for Digital Fitting, Digital Curation
- Character Design & Costume design for Universe: A Dark Crystal Oddessey with Studio Wayne McGregor and Royal Opera House (premiere 2023)
- Lockwood Publishing: Digital Fashion & Games Strategic Consultancy (2020-22)
- Lanvin, Dialogues retrospective Fosun, Shanghai: Digital Curation project 2019
- Louis Vuitton, Asnieres retrospective: Digital Curation project 2015
- Chloe, Alphabet Digital Curation project
Current and recent projects
“Beyond Human” 2022-
EU Horizon 2020 COSME: “myShopNET” , 2017-2018
Innovate_UK SMART Proof of Concept: “Fabricapture” 2015-16
Innovate_UK Materials & Manufacturing: “Zero Prototyping” 2014-15
Publications, exhibitions, other outcomes
- “Block Party”, Crafts Council, touring exhibition UK, 2011-14
- Design Commission permanent exhibition, Simone Handbag Museum, Seoul, S Korea, 2012
- “Drawing & the Body”, touring exhibition London, Stockholm, New York, Hong Kong 2009-2011
- “Future Fabrics”, Barbican Art Gallery, London, Nov 2010
- 1st International Conference on Digital Fashion, keynote speaker, London College of Fashion, May 2012
- Royal Academy of Engineering, The Future of Design workshop, invited expert panel, London April 2012
- Stanford University, USA, VLab invited panel member, Knight School of Business Management, April 2012
- British Academy of Management, Fashion Retail SIG, invited speaker March 2012
- American University in Beirut, keynote speaker,
- “Considerate Design for Personalised Fashion: towards sustainable production” with S. Black, C Eckert, F Geesin, P Watkins, S Harkin & F Eskandarypur , in Proceedings of the Mass Customisation and Personalisation Conference, Helsinki, Finland, Oct 2009
- “Innovation the Long Way Round: Transferring Rapid Prototyping Technology into Fashion Design”, with Eckert, C., 17th International Conference on Engineering Design, Stanford University, CA, USA, August 2009, ISBN 978-1-904670-16-2
External collaborations and activities
- 2014-present UK Expert for WG2( Digital Fitting), BSI Committee for ISO TC133
- 2012 Stanford University, USA, David Liu Memorial Lecture-School of Design/Engineering
- 2012 British Council Design Innovation workshop, Beirut