MA Entrance Requirements
Candidates are selected for places entirely on merit and applications are welcomed from all over the world.
For the majority of courses the first part of the Entrance Examination consists of an assessment of the application and portfolio of work. If successful at assessment stage, you will be invited to the second part of the Entrance Examination, a formal interview at the College with the appropriate admissions board and, for some courses, practical tests. You should be able to meet both the Cross-College Requirements and individual Programme Requirements set out below.
Cross-College Entrance Requirements
is based on a high standard of final-year undergraduate work (as
reflected in portfolio or degree classification), or on advanced work of
an equivalent level. Your work must also demonstrate a maturity and
readiness to undertake postgraduate studies.
- You must normally have obtained a good relevant undergraduate degree or an equivalent qualification. The College recognises as an equivalent qualification any degree, diploma, certificate or other evidence of formal qualification awarded by a university or other higher education establishment where the award is made following the successful completion of a course of at least three years’ study, the programme of study being open, as a general rule, only to persons holding a certificate awarded on the successful completion of a full course of upper secondary education. Other qualifications may be approved, providing that the Academic Board for Concessions and Discipline (ABCD) is satisfied that the applicant has the ability to pursue the programme of study successfully.
- The ABCD is empowered to make judgements about the extent to which qualifications or experience gained elsewhere may be accepted in partial fulfilment of its requirements.
- Upon entry to any of the College’s programmes you should be able to demonstrate:
- The potential to benefit from and contribute to the programme of study or research for which you are applying.
- Prior knowledge and experience indicating the potential to achieve the independence necessary for postgraduate study in a specialist discipline.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude to confront the issues to be addressed in preparation for a future professional career.
- Applicants should normally be aged over 21 years by 1 September of the proposed year of admission.
In addition to Cross-College Requirements, you will also need to fulfill the entrance requirements of the programme to which you are applying, details of which can be found by clicking on the relevant link below. Please read the requirements carefully.
Animation | Architecture | Ceramics & Glass | City Design | Curating Contemporary Art | Critical Writing in Art & Design | Digital Direction | Design Products | Environmental Architecture | Fashion Menswear | Fashion Womenswear | Global Innovation Design | Intelligent Mobility | Jewellery & Metal | History of Design | Information Experience Design | Innovation Design Engineering | Interior Design | Painting | Photography | Print | Sculpture | Service Design | Textiles | Visual Communication
+44 (0)20 7590 4444