MA and MRes Application Process
Applications are now open for the September 2021 intake.
Apply now to join us in September 2021
You can apply for your programme of interest via our online application portal. For complete programme information, including specific entry requirements, and student interviews are available on the Programmes webpages.
Round 2 applications are now open.
Applications deadline: Wednesday 27 January 2021, midday (BST)
Interview week: 01 – 05 March 2021
Notification of the outcome of your application: by Wednesday 17 March 2021
Deadline for accepting your offer: Wednesday 7 April 2021
We will provide updates on additional application periods going forward. Subject to availability of places, there will be opportunities to apply for RCA Programmes in mid-2021. However, we encourage you to submit your application by 27 January 2021 to give yourself the best chance of securing a place.
Round 1 applications are now closed. For those who applied in round 1 you will receive notification of the outcome of your application by Wednesday 16 December 2020. If you are invited to interview, interview week is 30 November – 4 December 2020. If you receive an offer, the deadline for accepting your offer: Wednesday 6 January 2021.
Apply now for the Graduate Diploma January 2021 intakes
How to submit your application
Once you’ve reviewed and selected the right Programme and checked College-wide entry requirements, you can visit our online application portal to begin your application. If you don’t yet have an account, you’ll need to create one.
After you have set up an account, follow these steps:
Stage 1 – Application Form
- Choose your Programme
- Provide the following information:
- Personal details
- Predicted or achieved grades in previous qualifications and/or evidence of equivalent professional experience
- Evidence of English language proficiency, if English is not your first language
- Context in which qualifications have been achieved or are being completed
- Once you have completed stage 1, you will receive an email with instructions on stage 2.
Stage 2 – Application Portfolio
- Watch the Head of Programme video and read the guidance notes explaining what the Head of Programme would like to see in your portfolio.
- Upload your portfolio following the guidance provided. Depending on the Programme, your portfolio may include files of your work and any written descriptions, explanations or justifications required.
- Provide a 300-word written statement about your motivation to study on the programme.
- Complete the critical challenge – a short video, up to two minutes, of yourself talking to the camera about your personal creative journey.
- Upload one written reference
Full details on how to apply, including specific requirements for the portfolio, statement and critical challenge, are included in the application portal. Please review these requirements carefully before submitting your application.
Please note that we reserve the right to reject any application, or withdraw an offer, if any part of the application is identified as being plagiarised or otherwise fraudulent.
What happens next?
Reviewing your application
Your application will be reviewed by our academic staff.
In a small number of instances, it may not be possible to make a decision based on an application alone. In these cases, you will be invited to attend an interview either in person or online. Receiving a request for interview does not make you any more or less likely to receive an offer of a place. Your invitation letter will contain full details of the interview and what you need to prepare. Please ensure you are available for interview before submitting your application.
Notifying you of your application outcome
Once your application has been reviewed, you’ll receive one of the following:
- an offer of a place
- a place on the waiting list, if the programme is already full
- an offer of a place on our Graduate Diploma Art & Design pre-master's Programme, which we have designed especially to help transition students to full MA programmes (with January and July 2021 start dates)
- a rejection letter
The timetable is the same if you have been invited to attend an interview.
Accepting your offer
If you receive an offer of a place, you will be required to accept your offer within three weeks from the date of your offer. You will then need to pay a non-refundable deposit to secure your place. This deposit will be offset against your tuition fees.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, you can get in touch with us at [email protected].
Any queries about the application process should be addressed to:
+44 (0)20 7590 4444
Click here to access the RCA's application portal.
If you would like to speak with someone about applying, we recommend attending one of our open days. The RCA is currently offering online open days with the first being held on Saturday 17 October. Register now for this virtual event that will you to find out more about the RCA experience, programmes, admissions and funding.
+44 (0)20 7590 4444