Please upgrade your browser

For the best experience, you should upgrade your browser. Visit our accessibility page to view a list of supported browsers along with links to download the latest version.

Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax levied by local authorities to help pay for local services, such as rubbish collection and policing.

Full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax. If you live in a household where every adult is a full-time student then you will receive a bill but will not have to pay Council Tax once you have submitted proof of your student status. 

To get this proof you should request a Council Tax letter from the Registry

For Council Tax purposes you are treated as being a student from the time that you start your course, to the time when you complete, abandon or are excluded from it. This means that you do not have to pay Council Tax during the summer holiday period between your first and second year, but will be liable from the day that you complete your course.

The situation is slightly more complicated when you are a full-time student sharing with a non-student/non-students. If you live in a household with one non-student, then there will be a 25 per cent discount on the Council Tax upon submission of proof of student status. If there is more than one non-student then the full amount will be owed, but any students in the household will not be legally liable to pay.

The Student Support Office can advise on Council Tax.

Close-up of student piece
Student Work, 2015
Photographer: Richard Haughton


Student Support 

+44 (0)20 7590 4140

[email protected]



"Full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax."