Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange (GAE)

The Tier 5 (GAE) visa is for individuals who wish to come to the UK for a short period for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an authorised body on the list of approved government authorised exchange schemes.


To be eligible to apply, you need to have received a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) for a job, from one of the schemes on the approved Home Office list.

In addition to this you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient finances to support yourself during your stay. You will need to evidence that you have £945 in a bank account in your name and that you have held this amount for a period of 90 consecutive days, prior to applying.

How to apply

You must apply within three months of receiving your CoS.

Before you apply, read the Tier 5 Policy Guidance carefully.

You can apply to switch into this visa category in the UK if you currently have leave to remain on a Tier 4 visa and you have completed a UK Bachelor's degree or Master's degree, or you have completed 12 months towards a UK PhD.

You can apply online to switch into this category by using the application form on the Home Office website.

A decision will be made in eight weeks.


In addition to completing the application form you will need to submit the following documents;

  • passport/ID card
  • a passport photograph
  • CoS
  • evidence of your finances as stated above
  • a tuberculosis test ( if you are applying from a country which requires this)

How long can I stay in the UK

You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending upon the scheme you are applying for) or the time given on your CoS plus 28 days, whichever is shorter.


You can have your dependent(s) with you in the UK on a Tier 5 (GAE) visa.

Information financial requirements and how to apply can be found on the Home Office website.


Apply outside the UK – £225

Switch in the UK – £225

Switch in the UK via the in person premium service – £625


Apply outside the UK – £225 (each person)

Switch in the UK – £225 (each person)

Switch in the UK via the in person premium service – £625 (each person)

For further information contact Student Support.


Student Support Office
+44 (0)20 7590 4140


Home Office