EU Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Following the results of the British referendum in June 2016, the UK Government has confirmed that EU students applying to English universities for autumn 2019 entry and autumn 2020 entry will continue to benefit from the current system of postgraduate loans and pay the same fees as UK students, for the duration of their programme.

EU nationals will also remain eligible to apply for Research Council PhD studentships at UK institutions for 2019 to 2020 to help cover costs for the duration of their study.

Click here to read a statement about the RCA and the European Union from Dr Paul Thompson, Vice-Chancellor of the Royal College of Art, and read about the experiences of some of our recent students from the EU.

How will Brexit affect current students?

The immigration status of all current EU students, along with fee status and access to student loans, has not changed as a result of the decision to leave the EU.

This will remain the case until the UK Government decides otherwise. 

For current students, if you are an EU citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. A voluntary pilot scheme is open to all EU citizens and their non-EU family members, which will remain open until June 2021, enabling EU citizens to apply for settled status. Anyone who applies and pays for the cost of an application during this test period will receive a refund.

How will Brexit affect applicants for study in 2019/20

If you are an EU citizen and you arrive in the UK between 29 March 2019 and 31 December 2020, and you intend to stay in the UK longer than three months, you will be able to apply to live and study in the UK. Once you have been here for five years, you will be able to apply for settled status. However, you will need to register through a new Home Office registration scheme. Further detail is available here. To apply now, please visit the website.

Will student fees be affected? 

The Government has confirmed that students from other EU countries who are currently at UK universities, those starting in 2018, and those applying to start in 2019 and 2020 will pay the same fee as UK students for the duration of their studies. Students will also be able to access financial support for the duration of their programme, as per existing guidelines.

For more information, visit the website

How will Brexit affect student loans for EU students?

The Government has confirmed that students from other EU countries who are currently at UK universities may receive student loan support for the duration of their programme. The Government has also announced that EU students applying for a place at English universities will continue to be eligible for financial support for the duration of their programme.

For more information, visit the website. 

Will the UK's departure from the EU affect students from outside the EU?

The referendum result has no implications for the immigration status or associated fee status of students from outside the EU. The current arrangements will continue.

What will happen to existing research project funding?

The HM Treasury has committed to underwrite payments of Horizon 2020 awards to cover grant applications after the UK leaves the EU and the UK’s allocation for structural and investment fund projects as part of the EU’s 2020 budget.

The Treasury has also stated its intention to negotiate associated status with the new Horizon Europe programme, and is expected to pursue this goal.

What does this mean for future research funding?

UK researchers are able to continue to make applications to Horizon 2020 until any withdrawal from the EU is complete.The extent of UK participation in future EU research programmes will depend on domestic decisions by the UK Government, and negotiations with the EU.

The Government has stated that it is 'determined to ensure that the UK continues to play a leading role in European and international research.'

Further information