Please upgrade your browser

For the best experience, you should upgrade your browser. Visit our accessibility page to view a list of supported browsers along with links to download the latest version.

Registering with the Police

Who needs to register with the police?

Nationals of certain countries will be required to register with the police as part of the conditions of their immigration permission. A list of relevant countries can be found in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules on the Home Office website.

If you are required to register with the police this will be stated on your entry sticker (vignette) in your passport or on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you have dependents with you in the UK, they will also be required to register with the police.

When do I need to register?

You must register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK, or if you are required to collect a BRP after arriving, within seven days of collecting it. You can register with the police before or after collecting your BRP.

If you are extending a Tier 4 visa in the UK, you must register with the police within seven days of receiving the new BRP.

Where and how do I register?

You will need to register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office.

Overseas Visitors Records Office
323 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JL

Opening hours are available on the OVRO website.

In order to register you will need to complete the OVRO Registration Proforma. Please ensure that you complete this electronically, as the OVRO will not accept handwritten forms.

In addition to the form you will need to supply the following;

  • £34 fee
  • One passport sized photo (glued to the top right-hand corner of the proforma)
  • Passport/BRP
  • If you made your application outside of the UK and are registering prior to collecting your BRP, you will need to take the decision letter that you received when your passport was returned to you
  • If you are extending your Tier 4 visa in the UK, take your old Police Registration Certificate (PRC) with you to be updated

Once registered you will be given a Police Registration Certificate (PRC). You must keep this safe, as you will need it if you wish to apply to extend or switch to a different visa category within the UK.

Keeping your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) updated

Once you have registered and been issued your PRC you must update this at the OVRO every time you are granted an extension of your immigration permission.

If you change your address you must notify your local police station within seven days of moving.

If you change your nationality, martial status, or are issued a new passport or travel document you must update your local police within eight days.

Further information on registering with the Police can be found on the OVRO website.