The concept is about floating. I try to break up the appearances of the object, and explore the possibility of materials and textures while floating in liquid or air, then I capture the moment of stillness. The beauty comes from the inner release of the object itself, also it is a metaphor of people who are challenging the established order to release themselves. The image is a fantasy world which includes the various forms of floating, like life and death, pleasure and sorrow, and positive and negative. It is not only just a lovely imagery, but also an exploration of a new understanding about who I am, and what my identity is. In that process I keep challenging and breaking through my background, and learn how to embrace the darkness and love in my life.
School of Design
MA Textiles, 2018
+44 (0) 7599 231652
Liu's work is concentrated on high-end interior textiles and decorations; a new Art Deco exploration of the contemporary; a creative and romantic life style. I hope my fabric and material can make people feel silence and peace. Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher (c. 535 – c. 475 BCE), believes “The meaning of the river flowing is not that all things are changing so that we cannot encounter them twice, but that some things stay the same only by changing.” The reason why I explore the floating of objects is to try to understand and find the motionlessness of them, however, the emotion of this motionlessness will bring people into sympathy with silence and harmony while they are surround by these fabrics at home.
Also, my work are closely related to music. My favorite pianist is Yann Tiersen. And songs form Fenne Lily and Talos are also my favourite. You can obviously feel the influences of their music connecting to my work.
- BA Textile, Academy of Art and Design, Tsinghua University, China, 2012; MA Textile, Academy of Art and Design, Tsinghua University, China, 2012
- Interior and Textile Designer Internship, HWCD Associates Limited, London, 2018; Design Asistant Internship, Kitmiles Studio, London, 2017
- PG×RCA—Future Materials, PriestmanGoode Company, UK, 2017; 8th From Lausanne to Beijing International Fiber Art Exhibition, China, 2014; ITCC International Textile & Costume Culture Art Exhibition, South Korea, 2014
- The Best Concept Award, (ICPDC) International Pattern of Creative Design Competition, China, 2015; Winner, Haining Cup, 2014 China International Textiles Creative Design Competition, 2014; The Excellence Award, From Lausanne to Beijing, 8th International Fiber Art Exhibition, 2014
- International Textile & Costume Culture Congress, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea, 2014; International Textile & Costume Culture Congress, Institute Technology of Bandung, Indonesia, 2017
- Liu Ya, The Reasons of Transparency in Contemporary Fashion, 2017 International Textile& Costume Culture Congress, Institute Technology of Bandung, Indonesia, 2017; Liu Ya, Bali Island, Indonesia and Southeast of China Minority Areas Indigo Dyeing Comparison, 2014 International Textile & Costume Culture Congress, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea, 2014