Salman currently redirects his approach in his practice from trying to find God or the sublime in the material world that exists outside himself, and diverts his view to the inside to try to find meaning to the confusing question he has within himself which is trying to find “the thing he doesn’t know what is, but wants to know” for him to gain a better understanding of the subliminal messages he writes for himself, that are found in the unconscious sketches he often produces.
By eliminating colour and sticking to black Salman reduces his vocabulary to ease himself into answering this unknown question in a well-constructed simple sentence, as apposed to his previously colourful and busy works. Themes of this series act as a reaction to the world’s desensitization, shying away and indifference to current events.
Even though the series limits the work to primarily one colour, black, means much more that it is, or is not. Black is solid, yet fluid. Flat, yet deep. Everything, and also nothing. Black is obsolete, yet it is true. Black is the beginning, Blackened is the end.
School of Humanities
MA Painting, 2017
+44 (0)7490 190159
It is the artist’s duty to spark a dialogue on the social issues that the artist is surrounded by. He believes that art sheds light on issues that are usually shied away from. His work does not abide to a present model when creating art. His hand freely creates sketches derived from, emotions and thoughts, which he believes dwell deep within his subconscious mind.
- BA Interior Design from the University of The Arts London, London College of Communication, 2014
- Junior designer at French House Design office, Bahrain September 2014–August 2015; Managing George and Amal Clooney’s Wedding Bash at Danesfield House, Buckinghamshire with French House Design
- Group show ‘Bahrain Annual Fine Art Exhibition’, Bahrain National Theatre, Bahrain, 2017; Group show ‘Continents of Abstraction’ Lychee One Gallery, London, United Kingdom, 2016; Solo show ‘Solidification of Soul’ at Palazzo Serbelloni, Milan, Italy, 2015; Speaker at Tedx Royal Holloway, United Kingdom, October 2014; Exhibited in ‘Salman’ Solo exhibition at the Bahraini Embassy, London, United Kingdom, 2013
- Participated in the ‘40th Annual Bahraini Art Show’ Group exhibition, youngest participant, the only to win an award in the exhibition on first attempt, Bahrain, 2014
- L’Officiel (Milan, 2015); Architectural Digest (Milan, 2015); Daily Tribune newspaper (Bahrain, 2015); Founder (UK, 2014)