Daboh Tower - Memory's shadow
I explore the relationship between memories and materiality, questioning the effect that time has on their creation and demolition. The shifting and unstable borders between memories are expressed with blurring and through loss as part of my own experience.
The work, set in the context of a cultural background related to memory, refers to the interplay between past and present, revealing identity regained and new visible perspectives formed as a result. These transforming memories within folded bodies, folded lands, forgotten histories, remembered literature are investigated by my own superimposed memorial system.
Daboh Tower, one of the most famous towers in Korea, contains small crystals sometimes found amongst cremated remains of monks and installed as a memorial to their spirits. I found old photographs in my grandmother’s bag after her death and folded them, inspired by the Daboh Tower, imagining many stories untold and unfolding. Works within my grey installation can be read paradoxically: representations of memory’s shadow have been constructed whilst at the same time they are carefully deconstructed, unfolding in time.
School of Humanities
MA Photography, 2017
- BA (Hons) Photography, London College of Communication, University of the Arts London, 2015; MFA Photographic Design, Graduate School of Industrial Arts, Hongik University, 2012
- Photographer, Seoul, 2005-2010; Artist Talk; Falmouth University, Falmouth, 2017; Artist Talk; Auditorio de la Fundación ICBC, Buenos Aires, 2016; Travel photographer, Traveller Magazine, Seoul, 2016; Photographer, Magazine B, Seoul, 2016
- 'THERE HERE', Solo show, Dyson Gallery, London, 2016; Offprint at Tate Modern, London, 2015-2017; Brighton Photo Biennale, Brighton, 2016; 'Art-criticism-seance', performance, Lychee One Gallery, London, 2016; 'Contemporary Venice', Palazzo Flangini, Venice, 2016-2017; 'The Labyrinth', Bahcesehir University of Rome, Rome, 2016; Experimental Video and Performance Art Festival, BAU International Academy, Rome, 2016; LOOP Festival #16, Barcelona, 2016; 'HECHOS', La Ira de Dios, Buenos Aires, 2016; London College of Communication Degree Show, London, 2015; 'Fotomorrow', KIAF at Coex, Seoul, 2013; 4 person show, Mayjune Gallery, Seoul, 2012; POST-PHOTO 9th, Kwanhoon Gallery, Seoul, 2011; ASYAAF, Sungshin Women’s University, Seoul, 2010; POST-PHOTO 8th,TOPOHAUS, Seoul, 2010
- MIFA Photography Awards, 2016; International Photo Awards, Family of Man, 2016; International Photo Awards, 2016; Artist in Residence, La Ira de Dios, 2016
- Time Capsule, 2017; Auditory Hallucination, 2016; AreYouLost?, 2016; I Don't Have A Picture With Her Yet, 2015; Stupid Box, 2011