Mee Young Kim
School of Humanities
MA Painting, 2014
07564 609206+82 (0) 1053179818
Whatever the method, the world is divided. By physical territories, political allegiances or even language. More simply, we separate things by what is mine and what is not.
These harsh systems devised to divide wear the people down. This world is so eager to apportion itself. However, the effort to maintain the walls is much higher than expected. The expense was overwhelming, an amount we could hardly afford.
A utopia still remains in the world: the only part that belongs to nowhere. It is located between the lands with owners. This land may be meagre or rugged, but can we rather expect hidden treasure there?
It is unknown. The territory of the mysterious.
This land can be lonely but without obligation.
I’d like to spend some time in there.
- MFA Painting, Ewha Woman's University, South Korea, 2011; BFA Painting, Ewha Woman's University, South Korea, 2008
- KunstDoc Residency, Leipzig, Germany, 2011
- Solo Exhibition: Disconnected Connection, Gallery Dos, Seoul, Korea, 2012; Portes Ouvertes, Cité Internationale Des Arts, Paris, France, 2013 ; PNTG NOVEMBER, Henry Moore Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2013 ; Notes to Self, Dyson Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2013 ; RCA Secret, Dyson Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2013 ; The Memory Politic, Zaha Museum, Seoul, Korea, 2012 ; KunstDoc Artist Cluster, Seoul, Korea, 2011 ; BYUL Project no.12, Suyoung Kim/Mee Young Kim: Uncanny, Project Space Byul, Seoul, Korea, 2010 ; Wonderful Pictures, Ilmin Museum, Seoul, Korea, 2010 ; ASYAAF, Geemoosa, Seoul, Korea, 2009 ; See->At! Ewha Galley, Seoul, Korea, 2007 ; The First, Na Gallery, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- Paris Studio Award, Cité Internationale des Arts Residency, Royal College of Art, 2013 ; Ewha Alumni Scholarship, 2008
- Artist Talk and Tutorials, Wolverhampton University, 2014