Saffar Crafts is a Kuwaiti based design practice striving to find the value in the diversity of regional design within a global society. It aims to contribute to a world wide conversation on the differences and meaning of cultural design, by pushing to elevate and promote the processes and skills available in Kuwait. The products of this practice aspire to be personally informed, locally defined, and universally desirable.
As a first collection Saffar’s three products focus on a variety of unique attributes of sand casting in Kuwait. Through the process of making and discussion with the craftsmen the forms were tailored and redesigned to highlight these abilities.
Tableware – tells story of a fragmented experience of Kuwait, and growing up with a wider experience of the world. As a person with formative experiences from Kuwait, London and the USA my interpretation of culture is influenced by this expansive territory. The series combines a sense of nostalgia, play and critical probing of the meaning of culture. The items gain potency from my personal stories, but have also transformed in intent through the fabricators hands and the relationships built during their production.
Dual Bowls – developed from working with Alwafi craftsmen on Tableware and discovering untapped potential for dual metal casting. By using simple forms we pushed the limits of casting, allowing us to highlight the beauty of the distinctive imperfection and the unique workmanship.
Scaffolding Table – abstracts and highlights the functional structures and delicateness of scaffolding in Kuwait. The table is designed with scaffolding inspired, pre-cast connection methods, which compliment local fabrication, such as the levelling scaffolding jack foot. The table flat packs for easy assembly and low volume shipping.
School of Design
MA Design Products, 2016
Personally informed, locally defined and universally desirable furniture products.
My future practice is Saffar Crafts, a Kuwaiti based design company striving to find the value in the diversity of regional design within a global society. It aims to contribute to a world wide conversation on the differences and meaning of cultural design, by pushing to elevate and promote the processes and skills available in Kuwait. The products of this practice aspire to be personally informed, locally defined, and universally desirable.
Saffar products focus on three goals:
Story Telling – Saffar products gain significance through the stories of their design, the process of making and where they are inherited in the world. They are an exposition of the vitality of story telling, human sentiment and often whimsy and nostalgia.
Local Partnership – Saffar is committed to collaboration with craftsmen and designers. By bridging the socio-economic divide between the craftsmen and the designer, through continued recognition and appreciation for the process of making, Saffar will elevate the integrity of its products, and the vitality of its craftsmanship.
Utilising Context – As a historic trade route that has developed into an oil rich nation Kuwait is a multinational hub with unique craft methods, material possibilities and vernacular. Saffar aims to synthesise and capitalise on this potential to create products that are inherently Kuwaiti.
- Industrial Design BFA, Rhode Island School of Design, USA, 2012
- Design Intern, Bangor University, 2015; Design Thinking Facilitator, TCS Design Thinking Workshop, Royal College of Art & Imperial University, London 2015; Interior Design Intern, Babnimnim Design Studio, Kuwait City, 2014; Special Projects Manager, Concreteworks, Oakland, 2013 ; California Furniture Designer and Drafter, OHIO, San Francisco, 2013; Junior Designer, Geremia, Emeryville, 2012–2013; Furniture Design Intern, Studio DUNN, Providence, 2012; Furniture Design Intern, PAD10, Kuwait City, 2011
- Sonos Sound Object , Translation of Sound Showcase, London, 2015; Dwell On Design, Concreteworks Tinder Showcase, Los Angeles, 2013; Freshly Made: Naked Grains, Studio Dunn, Providence, 2012; Rhode Island School of Design Senior Show, Providence, 2012; Rhode Island School of Design Triennial Show, Providence, 2011
- Honors List, Rhode Island School of Design, Fall 2011; Honors List, Rhode Island School of Design, Fall 2010; Visual and Performing Arts Scholarship, Syracuse University, 2008; Deans Scholarship, Syracuse University, 2008
- Concreteworks, California Home & Design, 2013; PAD 10, Kulture Files, Vol. II, 2011