Dissertation (Distinction): Within (inside something, internally, inwardly, Late Old English withinnan ‘on the inside’)
Within is used here as a metaphor to differentiate our thinking body from the intellect of our mind, while at the same time by exploring the notion of awareness within our body. Drawing on the study of phenomenology the paper states that the body’s implicit knowledge, known intuitively and due to its subjective nature, deserves a call to attention as it is ultimately core to our human experience.
I drew my research and the inspiration from contemporary dance workshops, which lead to this final project where I use film, spoken words and various forms of object making.
By using repetitive and rhythmic movements I translate my body’s thoughts into clay. In time these actions solidify the aesthetic of natural motion in ceramic objects. By performing caressing and massaging gestures I enter an intimate and sensual relationship with the material. I caress the clay and it caresses me, making for a two-way contact. This encounter develops a relationship with the object that puts touch at the very core. After all, touch is also the very core of being human.
All my objects, installations and performances invite for contemplation.
School of Humanities
MA Ceramics & Glass, 2016
+44 (0)7511 398030
I am an artist who is driven by an investigation of the body, it being our primal source of experience. Working with clay, the most primordial element of our earth, allows me to create an intimate relationship between this plastic and visceral matter and my own body. Currently my research aims to create a physical and emotional interaction with this matter. The skin acts as a vehicle for our intimacies in all their dimensions, for there is nothing deeper than our skin.
- BA Design, Faculty of Design & Arts, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy, 2013
- Visiting tutor, St. Paul's School, London, 2016; Assistant, The Kiln Rooms, London, 2015; Customer care and sales assistant for mano design at Ambiente Fair, Frankfurt, 2013; Intern, mano design, Vienna, 2012; Workshop leader at Come on Kids! Children’s Graphic Design Festival, Fondazione Stampalia Querini, Venice, 2012; Museum educator, MART Museum of Modern & Contemporary Art, Rovereto, 2009
- Sarah Griffin Showcase, London Craft Week, London, UK, 2016; In Context, Collector Preston Fitzgerald's Home, London, UK, 2016; The Emerging and the Established, Christie's South Kensington, London, UK, 2016; Off-Centre, Hockney Gallery RCA, London, UK, 2015; Undisciplined, The Gallery on the Corner, London, UK, 2015; Ceramic Art London, Lower Gulbenkian Gallery Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2015; Crafting Anatomies, Bonington Gallery, Nottingham, UK, 2015; Insights, Ministry of Education, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2014; Talents, International Trade Fair for the Skilled Trades, Munich, Germany, 2014
- Royal College of Art Dissertation Distinction Award, 2015; Sir Eduardo Paolozzi Travel Award, 2015 ; Royal College of Art Ceramics Prize, The Worshipful Company of Tin Plate Workers alias Wire Workers of the City of London, 2015
- Within, Beyond Jewellery: Performing the Body Symposium, Birmingham City University, 2016
- Thomas Apostolou, RCA Open Studios, Saatchi Gallery Magazine, 2016; Kate Dominy, Royal College of Art Work in Progress 15: Ceramics & Glass, Arts Thread, 2015; Anne Wallemacq, Into it, 2014