Meanwhile on Set...
Meanwhile on Set…
examines the conditions of acting for British black and black bi-/multi-racial
actresses. The film explores typecasting, stereotyping, and agency through
three segments. Within these segments the primary relationships function within
the structures of enslaved/master, hostage/hero-villain, and
entertainment/entertainer. The project takes existing film and media as its
model and uses this in a broad sense to approach the systemic conditions rather
than focusing on one actor’s experience or one named film.
During the film, actors veer from the structure of the filmmaking process, question the context of their surroundings, breakdown, and misbehave like viruses disrupting a system.
School of Arts & Humanities
MA Photography, 2018
Jennifer Martin (b. 1990) is based in London, working with photography, moving image, and installation. Her work is concerned with the potential and potency of photography, as well as the dupable expectation for accuracy and neutrality. A driving question of Martin’s recent work involves the role of art and media, more broadly, in the construction of race and its intersection with representation, agency, nostalgia, and identification.
- BA Fine Art, Slade School of Fine Art, 2013
- Live at Lychee One, Lychee One Gallery, London, 2017; Royal Photographic Society International Print Exhibition 159, PHOTOBLOCK London, London, 2016; Der Greif: A Process 2.0, Kraków Photomonth, Kraków, 2016; Getting Lost, Villa Iris, Santander, 2015; Guest-Room, Galerie f5,6, Munich, 2015
- Durham Wharf Foundation Award 2017
- Slippery Photographs: Slippery Histories, Memory and the Future, Royal College of Art, 2018; Gaze: Utterance, ICA London, with Lecturer Dhanveer Singh Brar, 2017; Gaze: On the Verge of the Visible, The Showroom, with Showroom Curatorial Fellow Teresa Cisneros, 2017; Gaze: Navigating the Veil, South London Gallery, with filmmaker Jenn Nkiru and Open Plan Gallery Trainee Elijah Maja, 2017
- Slippery Photographs, Slippery Histories, Form IV, 10, 2018; One Drop, One Touch: What if Means to Burn, Selected Essays, 2017; Guest Room: Katrin Weber, Der Greif Magazine, 2015; Da Thirst: Issue 3, 2014