Inprint on Nature
Authors throughout the centuries have distinguished between a ‘first’ and ‘second’ nature in order to describe our relationship with the natural environment.
‘First nature’ being the wilderness; a nature unaltered by human labour. While ‘second nature’ would refer to agriculture. Some theorists also believe there is a ‘third nature’, a combination of nature and culture which forms the garden.
Inprint on Nature is an installation placed within a constructed urban environment that brings a sense of natural atmosphere. Formed by a 30 stepping stone path, it invites the visitor to walk into a garden of ‘knowledge’, where he will discover the most relevant authors from all ages who wrote about nature, gardening and landscape architecture in particular.
The way in which this path may be discovered will depend on each person, and will bring us to question what is real and what is fake within our surroundings.
School of Fine Art
MA Printmaking, 2015
+44 (0)7557 902708
My work focuses on the human relationship with nature and how it has evolved over time.
Nature, what is it? As urbanites, we call the natural environment what is, in reality, human-controlled green spaces. Nowadays, all our experiences of nature are restricted to parks, gardens and other green areas within our cities: the 'cultured nature'.
In our aim to control everything, nature is classified, organised, designed and theorised. It seems that we are reducing the wild to an imaginary landscape.
I render these thoughts on my work, not only in the form of prints, but also as drawings, photographs and installations.
- BA (Hons) Visual Arts, Camberwell College of Arts, London, 2003 ; BA Interior Design, IADE, Madrid, 1996
- Art teacher, Eaton Square School, London, 2015; Printmaking workshops, Pembridge Hall School, London, 2013; Printmaking tutor, Universidad Francisco de Vitoria, Madrid, 2008-2011 ; Visiting lecturer, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, India, 2011; Visiting lecturer, Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera, Milan, Italy, 2011; Art teacher, Kinder Godwin, Madrid, 2007-2009 ; Sotheby´s, Old Master Paintings Department, Madrid, 1998; Sotheby´s, Valuations Department, London, 1997
- Nature: A cultural artefact (solo show), Instituto Cervantes, London, 2015; Gloria Ceballos: Artist´s Books (solo show), Homerton University Hospital, London, 2014; Chelsea Fringe (solo project), May 2014; A través (solo show), Galería José Robles, Madrid, 2011; Hiliada (solo show), Galería José Robles, Madrid, 2008; Hong Kong Open Print (group show), Hong Kong, China, 2015
- Artist in residence at Atelierhaus Beisinghoff, Germany, 2015; Artist in residence at Valdelarco, Spain, 2015; Work selected at Hong Kong Open Print, Hong Kong, 2015; Awarded project at Perspectives-Arts&Liver, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Valencia and Abbey Pharmaceuticals; Artist in residence, Uttarayan Art Foundation, India, 2011; Shortlisted certámen de arte gráfico para jóvenes creadores, Calcografía Nacional, Madrid, 2011; Awarded Printmaking project and exhibition at Escuela de Arte nº10, Madrid, 2011; Scholarship at Miró Foundation, Mallorca, 2010; Shortlisted painting prize "Adaja", Obra social Caja de Ávila, 2009; Shortlisted X printmaking competition, San Lorenzo del Escorial, 2009; Shortlisted certámen de arte gráfico para jóvenes creadores, Calcografía Nacional, Madrid, 2008; First prize, V Circuito de jovenes artistas de la zona noroeste de Madrid, Ayuntamiento de Collado Villalba, Madrid, 2008; First prize, V Circuito de jovenes artistas de la zona noroeste de Madrid, Ayuntamiento de Collado Villalba, Madrid, 2007; Selected by Red de Arte joven de la Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid, 2004; First prize painting, Ayuntamiento de Madrid, Madrid, 2002
- Artist talk, Uttarayan Art Foundation, India, 2011; Artist talk, Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera, Milan, Italy, 2011; For a complete biography, please visit www.gloriaceballos.com
- 'Natur in Kunstwerke Ubersetzt', Lokales, 20 March 2015, p 10 ; Vogue UK, February 2013, p 204; Lucia Lindsay, 'La revista', Anglospanish Society (232), Summer 2012, p 17 Issue; Silvia Movellán, El Ibérico, London, 3 May 2013, p 22 ; Isabel Lafont, El Pais, 21 December 2010, pp 6–7 ; Abel H. Pozuelo, 'Gloria Ceballos', El Mundo, January 2011; ABC, January 2011; Catalogue (group), Carmen Arozena International Printmaking Competition, Brita Prinz Gallery, Madrid, 2010; Catalogue Hiliada (individual), Galería José Robles, Madrid, 2008; Archana Joshi, Times International Press: An International journal of interdisciplinary art 1(1), January 2008, pp 10–15 ; Catalogue for La Creación, Virgen del Camino, Madrid, 2007; Catalogue for Hanging from a Thread, Obra Social Caja de Avila, 2007; University of the Arts London Magazine, Autumn/Winter 2004, p 34 ; Briefing, Newspaper for the London Institute 38, 11 April 2002