An exploration in material efficiency through new manufacturing techniques and processes has led to the creation of Tri-Fold, a flexible and lightweight engineered cork composite.
Natural cork has a multitude of inherent attributes yet its poor tensile strength severely limits applications. To circumvent cork’s shortfalls, Tri-Fold utilises innovative geometry to form a muti-layered network of compression and tension through which unsupported, low-profile rigid cork structures become possible.
This enhanced functionality offers a wealth of opportunities in both domestic and public applications as well as batch and mass-manufactured products and construction materials.
School of Design
MA Design Products, 2014
- BFA Product Design, University of Michigan, USA, 2011; BSc Interior Design, Eastern Michigan University, 2012
- Campaign design, Davidoff Fragrances, Paris, 2013; Designer, The White House, London, 2013-14
- The Furniture Society International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) Exhibition, Javits Center, New York, 2013; Best of the 2011 Show, Site:LAB, Grand Rapids Michigan, 2011
- Student Furniture Design, Core 77 Design Awards, 2013; ICFF Exhibition Winner, American Furniture Society, 2013; ASFD Student Design Competition, American Society of Furniture Designers 2011; Graduating Senior Award, 9th Annual All-Student Exhibition University of Michigan, 2011; Jay Seaver Scholarship, Eastern Michigan University College of Technology 2011; IFDA Ruth Clark Furniture Design Scholarship, International Furnishings and Design Association 2010; Norma Gray Scholarship, Brighton Michigan Art Guild 2010; Integrated Product Development Competition, University of Michigan Ross School of Business 2010; Fine Art Finals Midwest Scholarship Competition, 2009; Tagee Scholarship, 7th Annual All-Student Exhibition University of Michigan, 2008
- Eashaa Parekh, 'Green Alert', Elle Decor India, 2013; Rhys Hunding , 'Trends', CS Interiors Chicago, 2012, p. 74