Elizabeth Jane Winstanley
‘Escapism is to escape from everyday reality. The tendency to escape from daily reality or routine by indulging in daydreaming, fantasy, or entertainment’
inspiration from and celebrating the cultural acid house revolution, eighties nostalgia, sci-fi interpretation, the
concept is an immersive sanctuary in the form of an installation that is
comparable to another realm. Engaging audiences with visual and sound sensing
tactility; utilising shape, colour, surface, sound, film, projection, light and
reflections this environment occupies the edge between utopia and
dystopia. Some materials will appear to
have naturally grown or been left without human intervention, directly
referencing the notion of dystopia, while others will suggest recognisable landscapes. Mesmerising light projections and sounds immerse the
spectator, forming an element of Utopia.
Everyday objects are the foundation on which my process begins, transforming them beyond their original form is something I thrive on. Combining media and techniques this work aims to explores an individual’s perception. I often indulge in monotonous techniques, which is a form of therapy and escapism in itself. I utilise the integration of modern digital technologies such as film with traditional stitch methodologies. Utilising alternative substrates, I question the potential scale and contexts of textiles, and in my opinion, help to reveal new and exciting applications for the use of textiles and embroidery within current art and design contexts. Especially exciting is my application of embroidery as both a constructive device and embellishment process. For example the way in which I use light and movement is often inspired by embroidery stitches.
I aspire to reach audiences in public places, such as indoor and outdoor festivals, clubs, interior and architectural features, lighting festivals, music videos, stage, shows and sets. I intend my work to be appropriate for all ages.
School of Design
MA Textiles, 2016
+44 (0) 7921819952
I am a multi disciplinary designer that seeks to engage audiences with visual and sound sensing tactility. I explore the space between two-dimensional and three-dimensional realms, exploiting light, colour, pattern and movement to create illusions and immersive environments. Utilising industrial and household waste is fundamental to my design process. Combining media and techniques this work aims to explore an individual’s perception. Experimenting with alternative media I question the potential scale and contexts of textiles, and in my opinion, help to reveal new and exciting applications for the use of textiles and embroidery within current art and design contexts. I seek to not only create immersive environments but to also translate these discoveries into a wide area of design outcomes.
- First Class, BA (Hons) Embroidery, Manchester School of Art, 2013
- 30th July- 8th August 2013, Jason Hackenswerth Sculptures, sculpture assistant and installation.; 6th- 10th August 2012, Armitage Design, Studio assistant.; 9th- 20th July 2012, Keelergordon, assistant to the print department.; 14th May- 25th May 2012, Zandra Rhodes Enterprises, assistant print designer.; 2014/2015 Guest speaker & tutorial led discussions for the Unit X Project, The Manchester School of Art. Guest speaker to final BA(Hons) students, Professional Portfolio Day, The Manchester School of Art.; 2013- present, Developement Co-Ordinator, Curated Place.; 2014, Featured on the WGSN trend forecasting website; 2014, Featured at the 100% Optical Design Show, London.; 2014, Leader of Creative Workshops utilising alternative media.; 2014, Guest Speaker and Workshops, Tactile Too Professional Developement and Launch Day, Gallery of Costume for the Whitworth Art Gallery.; 2014, Guest Speaker, Manchester Craft and Design Center.; 2013,Installation and curating assistant, Departure Lounge Exhibition, Carnaby Street, London.; 2013, Installation Proposal, Geoffrey Manton, Manchester School of Art.Installation Proposal, library, Manchester School of Art; Collaboration 2013, Light Installtion Film with Christain Sinclair, Picadilly Place, Manchester.; Collaboration 2014 Sonic Delusions with collective 0point3recurrin , Nortern Quater after Hours, Manchester Craft and Design Center.; Collaboration 2014, Stop Animation with Tristen Poyer, Manchester Craft and Design Center. ; Collaboration 2014, Interactive Quilt with the Imperial War Museum, Bella May Leonard and Manchester Craft and Design Center.; Collaboration 2015, Eye wear with Lisa McConniffe, 100%Optical Design Show, London.; Collaboration 2015,Green Motor Cycle 'Skin', Imperial College, London. Sponsored by Red Bull and supported by the Uk government.; Collaboration 2016, Live Fashion, photoshoot with Jen Cheema and Lisa McConniffe, London, featured in Vogue Japan, April Issue 2016.; Commission, 2013, Installation, The Vertical Gallery, Manchester School of Art. Archive, Manchester School of Art. ; Commission, 2013, Tactile Too Archive, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester.; Commission, 2014, Sqaure Eyes Productions, Fish Mouth Prop, London. ; Commission, 2015, Jakwob, Album Art Work, London.
- 2012 ‘Re-considered- An Exploration of the Un Wanted’, Nexus Art Cafe, ‘Art Anon’, The Holden Gallery, Manchester.; 2013, The Independent Interiors Show, 2022, Northern Quarter, Manchester.; 2013, Departure Lounge Exhibition, Carnaby Street, London.; 2013, New Designers, Islington, London.; 2014, Solo Show, 'Tactile Illusions', Manchester Craft and Design Center, Manchester.; 2014, Interiors Live UK, NEC, Birmingham; 2015, Work in Progress Show, Royal College of Art, London.; 2016, Work in Progress Show, Royal College of Art, London.
- 2013, Manchester Craft & Design Centre, Graduate Solo Exhibition.; 2013, Lancashire Textile Award, Shortlisted. ; 2013, Neo:Graduates, Shortlisted.; 2014, New Design Britain Awards, Finalist.; 2015, Habadashers Hall Award, Finalist.
- www.interiorsuk.com/page.cfm/Link=65; http://www.craftanddesign.com/northern-quarter-after-dark/; http://tactiletextileresources.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/take-time-for-tactile-too-professional-development-launch-2-july-2014/; www.degreeshow.mmu.ac.uk/2013/vertical-gallery.php; http://www.craftanddesign.com/events/ejw-tactile-illusions/; www.mendeboy77.wordpress.com; www.thenewbroccoliblog.wordpress.com/question-time/new-designers-2013/; www.createtextileandstitch.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/new-designers.html; www.furniturenews.net/news/articles/2013/10/883457211-new-design-britain-awards-finalists-announced; https://www.instagram.com/p/BAy_p9CiXjS/?taken-by=markogm; http://uniquestyleplatform.com/blog/2016/01/26/print-and-material-inspiration-rca-work-in-progress-2016/?doing_wp_cron=1458652007.6559989452362060546875; http://www.craftanddesign.com/mmu10-2/; http://www.rca.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/fashion-and-textiles-work-progress-2016-reveals-rich-material-culture/; http://www.creativewithworkbox.com/product/issue-153/; www.garstangcourier.co.uk/news/school-news/student-all-sewn-up-after-landing-first-solo-exhibition-1-5799767; www.artsthread.com/p/elizabethjane1987/gallery/; https://www.linkedin.com/profile/edit?locale=