The touching illusion
This project is an exploration of how complex virtual haptic perception can be generated by minimal analogue simulation. The aim is to conclude the design principles for haptic devices by using the touching illusion. Those principles are applied to two contexts to test the feasibility: palpation training and haptic exhibition.
1. In the traditional palpation training, costly rubber models are used to give haptic feedback. Here, a new palpation training system is built based on the psychological theory: haptic perception interacts with other senses. In this system, the visual information of the patient is provided to the trainee by the VR headset, and the touching information is provided by the haptic interface.
2. The haptic exhibition is an experience design about using the haptic illusion effect to recreate the feeling of touching uncommon objects. The complicated haptic feeling can be perceived by the brain with simple material and movement.
School of Design
MA Innovation Design Engineering, 2018
My name is Dongyuan Li, and I come from China. As a designer, I have a great passion in art, design and science. I’m good at persuading people by using visual power. My education background gives me the ability to do high level idea visualization which includes hand sketch, CG drawing and CAD modeling. I'm interested in studying the human, especially psychologically. I love nature, I love insects and forests and ocean. I think the value of design is to give people the experience of beauty, and I look to achieve that through my efforts.
- BA Industrial Design, Tsinghua University, 2016; BSc Psychology, Tsinghua University, 2016
- Industrial Designer, TG0, London, 2017
- Design for Safety at Sea, Lloyd’s Register Foundation, London, 2017; Asia Design Engineering Workshop 2014, Taipei, 2015; the Tao of Sustainability-An International Conference and Exhibition on Sustainable Design, Academy of Art and Design, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2014
- National Scholarship of China, twice awarded, 2014&2015; Scholarship of Since1984, Academy of Art and Design, Tsinghua University, 3 times awarded, 2014&2015; Scholarship of Tokyo Institute of Technology Foundation, awarded, 2014; Tsinghua’s Partner-Dong Shi Oriental Scholarship, awarded, 2013