Make Light, Share it.
Désirée Kolarec is a London-based Slovenian jewellery designer. Over the last seven years, she has used her personal beliefs to tell stories of enlightenment through her designs. Clean and bold shapes define her style as well as her character. She is determined to inspire personal wellbeing for universal welfare. Désirée is currently exploring the subject of light in her jewellery.
Every day I witness people moving through their lives in a state of apathy. Living in a bubble while being glued to our phones can diminish our emotions. Through constantly looking at screens we become estranged from one another. Marching straight ahead, we are aware of neither our surroundings nor ourselves. This current lifestyle limits how we perceive the world. I seek to disrupt this apathy and its physical and emotional paralysis.
My goal is to catch people´s attention by subtly communicating a clear message with design that makes and shares the light. My jewellery features a light source that encourages those who wear it (and those nearby) to stop for a moment and focus. Meditating on this to quiet your mind can make you more aware of yourself and better able to connect with those around you. I explore the basic meditation principle of focusing on an object in my designs. Observing the pleasant flame of a candle and breathing deeply can be a simple but profound form of relaxation. My designs illuminate this by encouraging you to ‘breath in the light’. As you look into the glow, it pulses as if alive. Synchronising the rhythm of your breath with this can bring deep feelings of connection and awareness.
School of Arts & Humanities
MA Jewellery & Metal, 2018
+44 7577 756991
Désirée Kolarec is a London based jewellery designer from Slovenia. Over the past seven years, she has used her personal beliefs to create stories of enlightenment through her jewellery. Clean and bold shapes define her style as well as her character. She is determined to inspire her audience in personal wellbeing and the importance of acknowledging that of others. Currently exploring the subject of light as a tool of awakening for her masters at the RCA.
- BA Industrial Design, Academy of Fine Arts and Design, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2012
- Jewellery Designer at Zlatarna Celje, the biggest jewellery manufacturer in Southeast Europe, producing jewellery since 1844, 2011 – Present; Designer at New Moment, advertising agency, 2009 – 2010
- Light Captured in Stone, Slovene Museum of Natural History, Ljubljana, 2015; Selection of Graduate Works exhibition of the Department of Industrial and Unique Design of Academy of Fine Arts and Design, Kult3000, Ljubljana, 2014; Swarovski´s World Jewellery Facets, Paris, Tokio, Hong Kong, Las Vegas, 2014; The Ring for Barbara, solo exhibition and a lecture, Regional Museum, Celje, 2014; Timetable, exhibition of students of Space&Design strategies department, The University of Art and Design Linz, Linz, 2009; I believe, group exhibition by the Royal College of Art´s Jewellery & Metal MA 2018 collective, Schmuck 2018, Munich, 2018
- Second place for the Barbara of Cilli memorial coin design, awarded by the Bank of Slovenia, 2013; Finalist at Ljubljana Poster Festival, theme „Faces of Racism Revealed”, 2011; Finalist at the 9th Biennial of Slovene Illustration, for „Black Cat” illustrated children’s book, 2010; Shortlist at the 19th Slovene Festival of Advertising (SOF) for Lipis bowl, a business gift, 2010; Shortlist at the prestigious design competition European Glass Context 2008, 2008; Finalist at the Transgeneration Exhibition, with painting „And You?”, 2001
- Lecture at the University of Hertfordshire on my experiences in art and creative direction in jewellery design, 2018
- Various designs published in the renowned Swarovski Trend Books, 2013 -