I Transgress Therefore I Am: Desire, Parametric Knowledge and Contemporary Art by Algorithms
While Descartes famous phrase “I think therefore I am” from 1644 was asking what does it mean to be human (Descartes: 2001), this research question extends into what does it mean to be ethical and sentient being at the moment of catastrophic ecological change brought to bear by the relentless forward progress of the technosphere, the mobilisation and hybridisation of energy, material, and environments on a planetary scale comparable to atmosphere or biosphere.
My practice-led research is situated across the fields of physical computing, artificial intelligence (AI) and parametric architecture and design, whilst incorporating at the methodological level contemporary theoretical tools regarding radical matter, new materialisms and the political. As a transdisciplinary research it will focus on the relationship between body, technology, desire, learning and knowing in order to contribute to the urgent questions of our times:
What does an ethical community look like if the human subject no longer spearheads socio-political agency, but this is ‘given over’ (by default) to the algorithms of the technosphere?
What is it to be human, to desire, to have pleasure and how can this desire constitute the site of resistance?
How to instil sensuous knowledge into algorithms by means of contemporary art practice, and how does this knowledge relate to deep learning and big data analytics?
The methodological framework of the proposed research will follow the Radical Matter (Golding: 2013), and discursive method (Foucault: 1990, Deleuze and Guattari: 2013, Lyotard 1993). It will be incorporating theoretical tools of contemporary philosophy regarding new materialisms (Coole: 2010), speculative feminism (Haraway: 2016), quantum physics and complexity theory (Bohr: 1949, Prigogine and Stengers: 1984).
Keywords: desire, algorithms, deep learning, transgression, parametricism, affective computing, robotics
School of Arts & Humanities
Arts & Humanities Research, 2017–2022
+44 (0) 7923 606877
Dario Srbic is an artist and researcher whose work investigates algorithmic art, affective computing, robotics, parametric design, and ethics of artificial intelligence in context of transgression, obsession, difference and repetition, whilst incorporating at the methodological level contemporary theoretical tools regarding radical matter, new materialisms and the political.
- MA Contemporary Photography; Practices and Philosophies, Central Saint Martins, 2015
- FLIGHT MODE, Assembly Point and Asylum, London, 2018; photo::vienna 2017, MAK Museum, Vienna, 2017; Intergenic, Seen Fifteen, London, 2016; None of the Above - An Exhibition, La Casa Amarilla, Malaga, 2016; PHOTOMASTERS, Old Truman Brewery, London, 2015; Pingyao International Photography Festival, Shanxi, 2015; The Deleted World, 5th Base Gallery, London, 2015; Piercing the Veil, Simmons & Simmons Contemporary Art Collection, London, 2015; CONFLUX Exhibition, Trinity Buoy Wharf, London, 2015; New Weapons, Blitz Gallery, Valletta, 2015; Degree Show One, Central Saint Martins, London, 2015; London Art Fair x Canvas Bar, Canvas Bar, London, 2015; Big Space III, Central Saint Martins, London, 2014; Art Auction 2014 by Sotheby’s, Lethaby Gallery, London, 2014; Illuminations, The Crypt, London, 2014; Tomorrow : Today, Bargehouse, London, 2014; ANTIBODIES, Central Saint Martins, London, 2013; ACSA 3 Presentation, AUTOCENTER, Berlin, 2013; Unterströmung, Sixtus Villa, Berlin, 2013; Idle in Berlin, [f.u.c.] bar, Berlin, 2013; Verbote im Kunstraum, Leopold Museum, Vienna, 2011; Las proyecciones de La Fábrica, La Fábrica Galería, Barcelona, 2009; EuroLab, 29e Festival International du Film d’Amiens, Amiens, 2009; Uncensored Bodies, Wi-fi Body Festival 3, Manila, Philippines, 2008
- Shortlisted, Lowe Mullen NOVA Award, 2015; Juried Winner, Photographic Angle Award, 2014; Juried winner in the PHOTOGRAPHY Category, ArtSlant Showcase competition, 2013; Selection, Descrubimientos Photoespaña, 2012; Selection, Eikon Photography Competition, 2011
- (De)generative Art: Rules-transgressing Algorithms, EVA London, 2018; (R)encounter in Digital, paintingdigitalphotography, University of Derby, 2017; Fissures in the Image of Thought, Photography in 21st Century, Central Saint Martins, 2015; Ghost in the Image, Twice Upon a Time Conference, Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, 2014
- Fissures in the Image of Thought, Philosophy of Photography, Volume 6, Issue 1&2, 2016, 107-113