Skene is a word taken from ancient Greek and literally means 'structure that supports the background in theatre’ as well as ‘seeing and exposing'. As a part of my graduate project I have been photographing contemporary versions of skene – structures which are crucial for plays, or performances to happen and at the same time remain invisible to public.
In ‘Skene’ I am interested in exposing multiplicity of physical dimensions of structures which govern our sensory experience, creating symbolic language which addresses the distribution of power within the state and subversive value of lens-based practice. As part of this project I am also interested in the potential of photographic mode of enquiry to function as a mode of deconstruction.
School of Humanities
MA Photography, 2016
+44 (0)7518 646440
My practice can be characterised as consisting of a combination of fieldwork and constructed studio practice and both of a very formal aesthetic rigour. It is concerned with examining individual constituents of perception and unpacking how we can trace the process of assigning significance to our spatiotemporal realities.
It proposes a conceptual framework for the photographic analysis, where the studium aspect of an image suppresses the punctum, with particular emphasis on the medium’s combinatory capacity.
As an artist I am interested in creating socially engaged and visually innovative projects which accentuate potential of photographic form to function as a mode of deconstruction, the role of photographic image in distribution of power in the state and subversive value of lens-based mode of enquiry.
- BA (Hons) Photography, Dublin Institute of Technology
- Member of Panel of Experts at The Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium, 2013; Neu/Now Festival, Visual Arts Jury Member (project by ELIA – European League of Institutes of the Arts & European Commission DG Education and Culture), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012; Visiting lecturer, Dublin Institute of Technology, Photography Dept. Dublin, Ireland, 2012; Photo editor, Prism Photography Magazine, Dublin, Ireland, 2011
- Skene, RUARED, Dublin, Ireland, 2016; Focal Point, Unit 24, London, UK, 2015; MAC International Biennial 2014, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 2014; 184th Annual Exhibition, Royal Hibernian Academy, Dublin, Ireland, 2014; Expansive Traces, Ormston House, Limerick, Ireland, 2014; Labour and Lockout, Limerick City Gallery of Art, Ireland, 2013; Agents of Change: Photography and the Politics of Space, Brighton Photo Biennial, UK, 2012; Global Change Personal Stories, 11th International Photo Festival, Aleppo, Syria, 2012; On Migration, PhotoIreland Festival, Irish Museum of Contemporary Art, Dublin, Ireland, 2012; RUA RED, Winter Exhibition, Dublin, Ireland, 2011; What Matters Now?, Aperture Foundation, New York, USA, 2011; Coal Story, The Copper House Gallery, Dublin, Ireland, 2012
- RUA RED Gallery Solo Exhibition Award, Dublin, Ireland, 2016; Travel and Training Award, The Arts Council of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, 2015; Shortlisted, Jean-Luc Lagardère Foundation Photography Bursary, Paris, France, 2015; Royal College of Art, Fine Art Bursary Award, London, 2015; Royal College of Art, HEFCE Bursary, London, UK, 2015; Camera Clara Prize, Fondation Grésigny, Paris, France, 2014; Adam Mickiewicz Institute Grant, Warsaw, Poland, 2014; MAC International 2014 Art Prize, Belfast, Northern Ireland (shortlisted), 2014; Royal College of Art, HEFCE Bursary, London, UK, 2014; Adam Mickiewicz Institute Grant, Warsaw, Poland, 2013; Visual Art Project Award, Arts Council of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, 2012; Culture Ireland, International Culture Programme Grant, Dublin, Ireland, 2012; PhotoIreland Festival 2012 portfolio review winner, Dublin, Ireland, 2012; The Foam Paul Huf Award 2012 nominee, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012; Dublin Institute of Technology Medal, Dublin, Ireland, 2011; Propeller Fine Art Award, Dublin, Ireland, 2011
- Irish Arts Review, Dublin, Republic of Ireland, September 2015; L’Oeil de la Photographie, Paris, France, March 2015; Limerick European City of Culure 2014 Catalouge, Limerick, Ireland, June 2014; Royal Hibernian Academy 184th Annual Exhibition Catalouge, Dublin, Ireland, May 2014; OURCE Photographic Review, Belfast, Northern Ireland, March 2014; FOTO Magazine, Warsaw, Poland, January 2014; Working Times, Lockout 1913 commemoration zine, Limerick, Ireland, August 2013; Uncertain States quarterly photography newsprint publication, London, UK, October 2012; Now/Neu Festival 2012 catalouge, Amsterdam, Netherlands, July 2010; Prism Photography Magazine #06, Dublin, Ireland, July 2012; ”Intimacy” (Issue 5), SuperMassiveBlackHole Photography Magazine, Dublin, Ireland, September 2010