Carl W. Jones
“Decolonizing Advertising,” sets out to redefine the concept of advertising through this analysis of the political economy of race in Mexico, and its manifestation through the spectacle of advertising.
School of Communication
Visual Communication, 2016–
+44 (0)7798 565368+52 55 5 295 1727
Carl W. Jones is a bilingual, visual communications professional, and research student. Recognized as an authority on advertising winning over 500 awards; invited to speak in 12 countries, and interviewed by leading media channels.
Jones’s research on Decolonizing Advertising, redefines the concept of advertising through analysing the political economy of race in Mexico, and its manifestation through the spectacle of advertising.
Semiotics is his preferred research method, and published papers on: Branding, Design, Racism.
Carl uses Art Through Research as a method to investigate and create subversive artworks exhibited in Mexico City, Toronto, London.
- MA Communication & Culture, Ryerson University & York University (joint degree), Toronto, Canada, 2016; BDes Advertising & Design, Ontario College of Art and Design University, Toronto, Canada, 2012
- Senior lecturer & Liaison Tutor, PR & Advertising BA, School of Media, Art & Design, University of Westminster, London, 2015–present.; Assistant professor, OCAD University, Faculty of Design, Advertising Program, Toronto, Canada, 2012–15.; Vice President Executive General Creative Director, Grey Canada, Toronto, 2009–11; Vice President General Creative Director, Y&R Mexico, Mexico City, 2006–09; Senior Vice President Creative Director, BBDO Mexico, Mexico City, 1995–2005
- Espacio MonCa (Enlazarte) Centro Histórico, Mexico City. Jan 11-30, 2020. Digital Gaze.; Cultural and Scientific Association (NADWA) UAE. Emirates International Poster Festival (EIPF) Dubai. Nov 11-16. 2019; Cracking the Established Order. De Montfort University, Leicester, U.K. June 27, 28.2019. Digital Gaze.; 'Pirate Exhibition: Phase 1', Casa de la Cultura San Rafael, Mexico City, 2016; ' Imagines para ver-te' Racism in Mexico, Museo de la Ciudad de Mexico.Mexico City, 2016 (Group Show); 'El Crayolas Project 2005–2013', La Quinonera, Mexico, 2013; 'Ads for People: Selling Ethics in the Digital Age', OCADU Gallery, Toronto, 2013 (Group Show); Canada’s largest 3D wall mapping projection against Union Train Station, Nuit Blanche (Unofficial), Toronto, 2010 (Carl W. Jones); 'Best in American, Canadian, and Mexican Advertising', Museo Casa Jaime Sabinas, Mexico City, 2001 (Curated); 'Best in Mexican Advertising', Design Exchange DX. Toronto, 2000 (Curated and arranged show); Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 'ADCC 50th Anniversary Show'. 50 year retrospective on best advertising in Canada. Selected work for McDonald's Adv, 1999 (Art Director); Poster ‘Vuelve a la vida’ placed in museum’s permanent collection, Museo de Arte Contemporaneo, Mexico City, 1998 (Creative Director) and this same piece is part of the ‘Fundacion Televisa Art Collection’ one of the largest in Latin America.
- 1985–present. Over 500 awards and recognitions to date: Cannes, London International Advertising Festival LIAA, New York Festival NYF, Effies, Clio’s and One Show etc.; Awarded Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) through the Professional Recognition and Enhancement Scheme for Teaching (Prestige); Nominated for University of Westminster Student Union UWSU Staff Appreciation Awards!; Nominee, Excellence in Teaching Award, OCAD University, 2015; Top 20 Canadian Creative Director, Strategy Magazine, 2012; Most awarded Art Director in Mexico, 1995–2012; Mexican Creative of the Year, Creativa Magazine, Mexico City, 2006; Judge, Cannes, CLIOs, NYF, London LIAA, and Effies, 1994–2016
- (2020) El Colegio de México. Mexico City. Mexico. Proyecto sobre Discriminación Étnico- Racial en México. Invited featured panellist & Guest Speaker for seminar on Publicidad, medios audiovisuales y racismo en México. April 22,23.; (2020) CONAPRED. Dept. of Mexican Gov to stop discrimination. Dia de la publicista. Abril 21. “Descolonizando la Publicidad Mexicana.”; (2019) Trajectories 14th World Congress of Semiotics 2019. Buenos Aires, Argentina. Title of paper Racismo y clasismo en la publicidad Mexicana. First time research is presented in Spanish language. Sept 9-13.; (2019) Cracking the Established Order. De Montfort University, Leicester, U.K. June 27,28. Interrogating the Digital Gaze. Paper delivered.; (2017) ICSVC. 3rd International Conference on Semiotics and Visual Communication 2017. Cyprus University of Technology, Lemesos, Cyprus. Personal branding. Nov 3-5; (2016) 'Racism and Classism in Mexican Advertising' at Semiosis in Communication, Bucharest, Romania; (2014) Chair of panel 'Advertising Theory: interception between practice and scholarship. 'Introducing Ad Theory'UAAC Annual Conference, Toronto; (2014) 'Advertising tools & techniques applied to the brand Mr. Clean.' SEMIO 12th World Congress on Semiotics, New Bulgarian University, Sofia
- (2020 Jun) Expresiones contemporáneas del racismo en México. Cuerpos, medios y educación. Chapter title: Racismo y classismo en la publicidad Mexicana. Published in Mexico by: Centro de Investigaciones Interdisciplinarias en Ciencias y Humanidades (CEIIC; (2020) The International Journal of Creative Media Research: Re-Envisioning the Role of Creative Media Research. Special issue on Cracking the Established Order Conference. This paper accompanies the 2019 exhibition ‘Digital Gaze’ at De Montfort Universit; (2019) Semiotics & Visual Communication ΙΙΙ, Cultures of Branding By Cambridge Scholars Publishers. UK. Title of Chapter: Personal branding ‘Encoding a personal brand 11 through semiotics: a case study.’; (2019) Meanings & Co.: the Interdisciplinarity of Communication, Semiotics and Multimodality, within the series Numanities - Arts and Humanities in Progress. Publishing house - Springer International. Germany. Title of Chapter: Racism & Classism in Mexica; (2016) 'Advertising tools & techniques applied to the brand Mr. Clean.' Proceedings of 12th World Congress of Semiotics. Between Tradition and Innovation. Mouton De Gruyter.; (2014) 'Ads Send Out More Than the Client’s Message.' in Creative Social (eds) Hacker, Maker, Teacher, Thief: Advertising's Next Generation. London: Lulu.com, pp 121–128; (2013) Proyecto El Crayolas Project 2005–2013. US: Blurb.com