The Man With The Midas Touch - A Botanical Index Of Narcissus
The Man With The Midas Touch - A Botanical Index Of Narcissus depicts 28 gold medal winning Narcissus flowers from the Chelsea Flower Show in 2016. It has emerged from an interest in the origins of photography and questioning its tropes to represent the imprint of nature as a testimony of myth and history. The work is a study into the apparatus of the scanner and how it acts as a panopticon guard within society.
What happens if the scanner doesn't look for threads?
What if it tries to translate the poetic essence of nature to engage with the microscopic traces of history within its organic flesh, soil, water and air laced with war and power?
School of Humanities
MA Photography, 2017
+44 (0)7818 163528
Anna Skladmann's artistic medium combines photography and scanning techniques to reflect critically on aspects of contemporary life and politics, exploring notions of nature and society, cultivation and the machine. She is interested in the archive and categories produced and re-produced as well as being embedded in literature and mythology.
- BA Fine Art, Parsons School Of Design, 2008
- Founder of Wunderkammer, London 2015
- 'Emerging', Annenberg Space for Photography, Los Angeles 2015; '1% Priviledge In A Time Of Global Inequality', Chavonnes Battery Museum, Cape Town 2016; 'Rich Pickerings', Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg 2015; 'Small is Beautiful', Pobeda Gallery, Amsterdam Unseen Fair 2013; 'Photo Art Fair', Victoria House, London 2013; '1991', Zurab Tsereteli's Art Gallery, Moscow 2013; 'Little Adults', Museum Of Modern Art, Moscow 2012; 'I am Who I am', Kunst im Tunnel, Duesseldorf 2012; 'Facing Youth', Encontros da Imagem 2012, Braga 2012; 'Contemporary Russian Photography', FotoFest 2012 Biennial, Houston 2012; 'Gute Aussichten' - 4th Moscow Biennale of Contemporary Art in 2011 by the Austrian Cultural Forum, Moscow 2011; 'New Visionaries 2008', The New York Photo Festival, New York 2009
- Nomination for Paul Huf Award, 2013; Nomination for Prix Pictet 'Power', 2012; Arles Photo Folio Review, 2010; PDN's 30, 2009; NY Photo Festival, Personal Fine Art Series, 2008; Honorable Mentioning DataColor Scholarship, 2007
- The Man With The Midas Touch - A Botanical Index Of Narcissus, 2017; Der Schwerbelastungskoerper, 2016; Little Adults, Kehrer Verlag 2011