The PLANTATION was established because of the need to find a remarkable, almost symbolic use for what has been abandoned. The result is a porcelain object that rests in a common glass and which allows the observation of the growing process of plants, both its stem as well as its root.
An investigation into the recycled function for the glass was inspired by debris found on London’s streets. The nightlife of the city leaves behind many traces – among them abandoned glasses in the most unexpected places. In examining this phenomenon, the artist spent over a month in the early morning, between 4am and 6am, searching the streets and collecting glasses from bus stops, benches, curbs, alleys, gates and even shopping carts.
Subsequently the many shapes of these discarded items have led to an assortment of handmade parts that can be inserted into a variety of glass vessels sizes. These unique porcelain components are suitable for growing plants and when turned upside down it can be used as a mini greenhouse, ideal during seed germination.
This product allows the consumer the opportunity to reinvent the function of an ordinary glass vessel and give it a new context and purpose. Look for the many possibilities that surround you to create your own home breeding plantation!
LAB is not only a beautiful object for interiors but it also has a function
– to grow mushroom under the glass dome in the domestic setup.
The opaque glass of this unusual greenhouse allows only some light through and the ceramic base keeps the moisture in, which makes ideal environment for growing mushrooms. Inspired by morning mist in the forest, this object hides its function by distorting the shadows of mushroom.
What would taste better than mushrooms grown in a mysterious domestic plantation?
School of Humanities
MA Ceramics & Glass, 2014
I am an artist who makes artefacts for use.
The duality of function and sculptural qualities in my work illustrates the inherent link between art and design. One complements the other, making an integrated whole.
I consider craft skills to be crucial to my artistic practice, and I design and learn through the making process, working with various materials. ‘Vase’ is a project where I combine different media in a dialogue between two craft skills – glass blowing and throwing on the wheel.
I think that we don’t take responsibility for what we own and discard things easily. When I make objects I want to make sure that the reason for their creation is always pre‐defined, as in PLANTATION, which expresses the need to find use for what has been abandoned. The result is a porcelain object that rests in a found common glass, allowing for the growing process of a plant to be observed, from its stem to its roots.
- MA Product Design, The Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art and Design, 2012; One-year scholarship, Product Design, ISIA (Istituto Superiore per le Industrie Artistiche), Faenza, Italy, 2008–2009
- Intership, Gallery Assistant, ADRIAN SASSOON, London, UK, 2013-14; Coordinatir, International Symposium “Porcelain Another Way”, Poland, 2011-12; Co-organizer, Festival of High Temperatures, Wroclaw, Poland, 2007-09; Intership, Porcelain Factory LUBIANA SA, Poland, 2009 -11; Intership, SABINA Glass Factory, Rymanow Zdroj, Poland, 2006-08
- BLITZ Gallery, Malta Design Week, Valletta, Malta, 2014; Ceramic Art London, Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2014; Work-in-progress Show, Royal College of Art, London, UK 2014; Anima, Asylum, Caroline Gardens Chapel, London, UK, 2013; Recipe for a small design, 3D or design for children, Design Gallery, BWA, Wrocław, Poland, 2013; Art Food, Flow Gallery, London Design Festival 2013, London, UK, 2013; Polska! Folk, Sofia Design Week 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria, 2013; Women’s Design, The Polish Museum in Rapperswil, Shwitzerland, 2013; One Year One/New Designers, Design Business Center, London, UK, 2013; New Talent, DMY International Design Festival Berlin, Germany, 2013; Ceramic Art London, student’s exhibition, Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2013; Work-in-progress Show, Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2013; UNPOLISHED 15, Museum Nationale de Arta Contemporana, Bucharest, Romania, 2012; SURVIVAL ’10, Art Review, Olawka Station, Wroclaw, Poland, 2012; UNPOLISHED 14, Korea Foundation Cultural Centre Gallery, Seoul, Korea, 2012; Porcelain Another Way, Magazyn Praga, Warsaw, Poland, 2012; UNPOLISHED 13, Centre Meridional de I'Architecture et de la Ville, Tuluze, France, 2012; WOMAN’S BATHHOUSE, Łaźnia Gallery, Gdańsk, Poland, 2012; Use It!, International Ceramics Centre, Bolesławiec, Poland (as LESSDESIGN, solo), 2012; New tradition? Kraft and Design, Cieszyn Castle Centre of Design, Cieszyn, Poland, 2012; UNPOLISHED 12, Young Design from Poland, World Design Capital Helsinki 2012, Museum of Design, Helsinki, Finland, 2012; Polish Design, Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, Poland, 2011; UNPOLISHED 11, Convention and Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, China, 2011; Emergency Room by Thierry Geoffroy, European Culture Congress, Wroclaw, Poland, 2011; Selected Projects – Young Polish Design, Łódź Design Festival 2011, Łódź, Poland, 2011; XXXIII International Symposium „Porcelain Another Way”, Museum of Wałbrzych, Poland, 2011; 57° Biennale Premio Faenza, International Museum of Ceramics, Faenza, Italy, 2011; Ceramica storia di donne, International Museum of Ceramic, Faenza, Italy, 2010; The Wood-fire symposia in Estonia 10, Knighthoods Assembly in Tallinn, Estonia, 2010; Porcelain Another Way, Glass and Ceramic Gallery, Wrocław, Poland, 2010; Take Art/Weź Sztukę, BWA Awangarda, Wrocław, Poland, 2010 ( solo exhibition); Incrementum, Suommelina Island, Helsinki, Finland, 2010; Nordic Network Ceramic Studio, Tornby, Denmark, 2010
- Charlotte Fraser Award 2014, Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2014; The Griffin Scholarship, Royal College of Art, London, UK, 2012–2014; President of Wroclaw Scholarship in faculty of Culture and Art, Wrocław, Poland, 2013; Shortlisted, Make me! Łódz Design Festival 2012, Łódź, Poland, 2012; Shortlisted, Young Design’12, Institute of Industrial Design, Warsaw, Poland, 2012; Winner (category: 'Free Style'), Art of Packaging 2011, Poznan, Poland (as LESSDESIGN); Honorable Mention, Young at the Start, ELLE Decoration, Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, Poland, 2011; Final Selection, 57 Biennale of Faenza, Faenza, Italy, 2011; First prize, World Aesthete 'Innovative Artwork' Championship, Mondial Tornianti 2010, Argilla - Faenza, Italy, 2010; Scholarship, The Minister of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland, 2010; Scholarship, The Minister of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland, 2010; Honorable Mention, Food Design project, Made in Macef, Macef Trade Fair, Milano, Italy, 2009; President of Wroclaw Scholarship, Faculty of Culture and Art [one-year scholarship to study at the ISIA Faenza]
- Take Art / Wez Sztuke, Cataloug, ISBN978-83-929-493-9-8;