Equal Voices in the Room?
The project sees group work as a microcosm of wider political systems, thus prompting questions about how democracy is enacted through speech and debate. Largely but not just contextualised within pedagogy the project demands a closer more caring look at structures and organisation within daily life and their potential to have political and social effect.
Equal Voices in the Room? was founded by Alex Parry and Cicilia Östholm. Workshops have been run throughout the year (2017-18) by artists Nazanin Rahimi and Rachel Yalisove. The further collective of artists includes Sadie Edginton, Shamma AlAmri, Sing Hang Tam, Milagros Bedoya, Eleni Papazoglou, Sofya Chibisguleva, and Aurora Gazm.
School of Arts & Humanities
MA Contemporary Art Practice, 2018
+44 (0) 7983 335815
My current practice is based on exploring group work and participation in a pedagogical context and how this is reflective of wider political structures.
I have an ongoing concern with the ownership of public space and creating architectural structures for large group activity in these spaces. More recently I have been exploring some of the relations between language, materiality, and architecture with specific interest in the possibilities for language to shape the large property development in Nine Elms.
I often run workshops as part of projects and regularly collaborate with other artists, architects, and social researchers.
- BA Anthropology and Media, Goldsmiths University, 2008; Collaborative Research Group, 18 month programme with CRATE and the University of Creative Arts, 2015
- Production Assistant, Collaborative Design and Build, London, 2016 - ongoing; Co-Director, RARA, London, 2012 - ongoing; Community Arts Officer, Welling School, 2014 - 2016
- States of Public, FACT, Liverpool, 2018; Shape My Town, Culture Action Llandudno, Llandudno, 2018; Winter Trails, Re-mapping Nine Elms, London, 2018; Equal Voices in the Room? ReachOut RCA, London, 2018; Underpasses Project (with RARA), On the Verge, Milton Keynes, 2017; Can Language Destroy a Building? ReachOut RCA, London, 2017; Freeman and Youngsook Choi), ANTIUNIVERSITY NOW, London, 2017Puppetry, Ventriloquism and Inner Politics (with Eva; Unruly Objects, The Hardwick Gallery, Gloucester, 2015; The Universe is Flat, Round and Full of Structure, DeLiceires 18, Portugal, 2015; We Shall Not Be Moved (with Eva Freeman), Art Licks, London, 2015; Stories from Gillett Square (public space commission), London, 2014 - 15; Collaborative Research Group, CRATE, Margate, 2014; Collaborative Research Group, Whitstable Biennale, Whitstable, 2014; Object Atelier, Tobacco Factory, Bristol, 2014; Object Atelier, The Roundhouse Theatre, 2014; Street Platforms (public space commission), Made in MK, Milton Keynes, 2014; Hackney Harvest (public space commission), Hackney Council, 2014; BResident, Beacon Arts Project, Wellingore, 2014; Finding Home, Cities Methodologies, Slade Research Centre, London, 2012; The Knowledge Shop, Amnesty International Headquarters, London, 2012; Relay, Quay Arts with A Space gallery and Rules and Regs, Isle of Wight, 2011; Table on the Marsh (permanent installation), Walthamstow Marsh, 2010; The Treehouse Gallery (part of a collective), Regents Park, 2009
- Work and Art Symposium, UCA, (2015) Co-organiser with Collaborative Research Group
- Equal Voices in the Room (with Cicilia Östholm), The Pluralist, Issue 1, 8-9