Haven (2019) is a mixed media installation in response to a book banned in the UK, Rules Pertaining to Muslim Women (2003). These rules are familiar, part of my childhood, passed down through the generations, constraining Muslim women. Pages from the book are redacted and the remaining text is restricted by netting but also disturbingly safeguarding it.
School of Arts & Humanities
MA Sculpture, 2019
+44 (0)7547 018356
As a contemporary female British Pakistani artist from a South Asian culture, my practice is based around exploring my identity. Examining interdisciplinary modes of construct/deconstruct, incitement, provocation exploring tension. I also investigate material language, research, theory and textile-based concern with embodiment in dress.
I work with mixed media ranging from fabrics through to plaster and silicone casting. The fabrics relate to the oppressive nature of traditional clothing wrapped tightly, stitched or stretched, constraining movement and individual expression. The plaster casting process embodies a controlled life and repression.
There is tension within my work in terms of both content and material appearance, from the knotted rope that indicates the more it is pulled the tighter it becomes, to the rock-like forms tightly bound in cloth. Material language and the tensions within materials have a symbolic nature in my work and they are explored through my concepts, metaphorical materials and processes. I create paintings, drawings, performance and sculpture, and my works interpret emotions, experiences, tradition and religion. My intentions are to reveal oppressive forces through processes of veiling, rupturing and exposing a hybrid of cultural identities.
- BA Fine Art: Sculpture, Wimbledon College of Art, 2017
- Artist residency, Portland Sculpture and Quarry Trust, 2016; Placement, MDM Props, London, 2016
- 'Dear_,' Group Show, The Dyson Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2019; The Socio-Parasitology Manifesto Exhibition, Nunnery Gallery, Bow Arts Trust, London, 2019; LinkUP-Motive, The Courtyard Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2019; Neulinge, The Crypt Galley, Euston, London, 2018; Sculpture WIP Show, Royal College of Art, London,2018; 'To Be Continued…', Gallery of the College of Arts, Huabei University of Science and Technology, Tangshan, China, 2017; The Currents of Identity, The Crypt Galley, London, 2017; HYBRID, Wimbledon College of Arts Library, London, 2017; In the Name of Honour, The Old Police Station, London, 2016
- Mead Fellowship, Supported by University of the Arts London and Scott Mead, 2017
- ST.ART, MIND X BODY, Printed Zine Magazine, Edition No.10, St Andrews, Scotland 2016; ’Decoding Masculinity: A conversation on Race, Gender and Religion’, Shades of Noir, Printed Zine, London, 2016