Select a SchoolSchool of Design
Select a ProgrammeTextiles
Select a StudentYu Yang
Show RCA work
The selected work touches on childhood memories – smell, colour, meaning, placement and association – while confronted with feelings of disillusion, disappointment, anger, and frustration. Tapestry painting is a kind of interpretation of his work; by using hand-woven tapestry and digital Jacquard tapestry. There is also a display of social and individual experience, by using the significant contrast between handmade finish and digital manufacturing.
School of Design
Yang Yu was a university teacher in Thailand, and graphic designer in China, before coming to the Royal College of Art to study Textiles. Yu Yang's textile work combines art, craft and design, and explores weaving.
- BA Arts and Design, Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology, 2011; MA New Media and Society, University of Leicester, 2014
- Head of Arts and Design programme, Dhurakij Pundit University, Bangkok, Thailand, 2014–2017; Head of design, Hangzhou Leizu Co., Ltd, Hangzhou, China, 2011
- A Beginning of an End, Hoxton 253, London, 2019
- Commendation, The Woolmark Prize, The Bradford Textile Society Design Competition, 2019
- Gainsborough Silk Weaving