Select a SchoolSchool of Design
Select a ProgrammeTextiles
Select a StudentSmriti Prasad
Show RCA work
The embroidered heritage
My final major project is an ode to the 'homemade-handmade' embroidery traditions of Bihar, India – where I come from. The aim of this project was to revisit the embroidery techniques used in the folk crafts of Bihar, like the 'sujini', and bring it on a global platform by interpreting the functionality of embroidered stitches beyond ornamentation; within a contemporary context, like the CMF industry.
This project has evolved from the recommendations I have made in my dissertation titled, The embroidered cloth: Exploring folk embroideries of Bihar- a medium of expression. With this project, I have tried to look into the possibilities of marrying the inspirations taken from a 'slow making' skill-based embroidery techniques, with those of 'fast making' digital technologies.
School of Design
- +44 (0)7404342809
- +91 9967844877
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
Smriti believes in the strength of craft traditions. Her work finds the voice of craft practices in India integrated with high technology environments, like the automotive industry. Her interest lies in the CMF industry; she finds it interesting how materials and processes come together to evolve into something innovative. As a design professional, she truly believes in the power of following a process that helps her evolve both professionaly and personally.
- GDPD, Textile Design, National Institute of Design Ahmedabad, India, 2013
- Senior designer, Tulips Ambbience Pvt. Ltd, Pune, India, 2017; Design consultant, Rakshakari, Pune, 2016–2017; Senior designer (CMF), Groupe Renault, Mumbai, India, 2016; Designer (CMF), Groupe Renault, Mumbai, 2013–16; CMF intern, Groupe Renault, 2012; Intern, Synergy Lifestyles Ltd, Mumbai, 2011; Apprentice, Rainbow Batik, Mundra, India, 2010
- Point 9, International Students House, London, 2018
- Renault President's Award 2016
- ROTENDA NEVHUTALU (Intelligent Mobility Design), Only for project 'Altis'