Select a SchoolSchool of Design
Select a ProgrammeTextiles
Select a StudentRhianna Parker-Yates
Show RCA work
A Fragmented Memory
A Fragmented Memory is a personal interpretation of the psychological theory 'Magical Thinking', which investigates how awareness in early childhood can lead to the belief that the physical world can be influenced.
Rhianna's body of work explores how she has perceived memories of influential 'older people' present in her life, in particular, her grandmothers, from a childhood perspective. She revisits familiarities within her memories, such as colour, objects and clothing, to inspire a collection of woven textiles for the body. Unravelling perceptions of the past to create symbols and motifs that build a world around a memory. Tactility, movement and the body, juxtapose within the naive and cyclical imagery in the textiles to emulate the way a memory forms.
School of Design
Rhianna's work has an artistic aesthetic, formed from painterly ideas and a story-like meaning; but also holds subjective function.
With a strong focus on narrative, Rhianna uses woven textiles as a medium to explore colour, shape and composition. She is interested in not only the textiles themselves, but the mood they evoke – aiming to build a world around a material.
Drape and tactility are important features within Rhianna's work – combinations of matte and metallic yarns of different thicknesses are contrasted to show an amalgamation of styles, from elegant classic to playful modern.
- BA Textiles, University of Falmouth, 2016
- Part-time fashion design placement, NIQUE, Melbourne, Australia 2017; Home portfolio review and studio experience, John Lewis, 2016; Textiles woven design intern, CTD Studio and Kova, New York City, USA, 2015
- Publication in the Journal for Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, 2017
- PG x RCA Future Material, 2018; Designers John Lewis Award for Design and Innovation, 2017; The Worshipful Company of Weavers Scholarship Award, 2015; Society of Dyers and Colourists International Design Competition, 2015
- The Worshipful Company of Weavers Scholarship Award 2017; The Clothworkers Company Scholarship Award 2017
- The Worshipful Company of Weavers Scholarship Award, The Clothworkers Company Scholarship Award