Select a SchoolSchool of Design
Select a ProgrammeTextiles
Select a StudentJialing Lee
Pieces of Jade
The ‘digital craft’.
While questioning ‘why we make things and why it matters?’, during Jialing’s MA at the Royal College of Art, she has become fascinated with the emotional role objects play in our lives.
Inspired by folk art and the symbolism of the objects, Jialing researches the culture of lucky charms in Southeast Asia, as she creates a collection of works including a ‘double cloak’, an ’endless scarf’, and a series of fans. Based on her practice to achieve the idea of creating a balance between the old and the new in a contemporary vision.
School of Design
Jialing is a multidisciplinary designer who has a textiles and industrial design background. Her works are widely inspired by local crafts, small-scale fabricators and raw materials.
Based on the exploration and observation of the life of products and the sustainable use of materials; Jialing’s work range covers soft furnishing, home decoration, and everyday products that surround us. From those practices to achieve the idea that innovation is not only based on new technology, but also on cultural heritage and nature.
- BA Industrial Design, Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan, 2012
- Co-founder, Studio Double Plus, Taipei, Taiwan, 2017; Industrial designer, New Design Dimension, Tainan, Taiwan 2013–2016
- Anthropogenic, Dutch Design Week, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2018; Geisai14, Tokyo, 2011
- Young Designers, The most creative talent award of Tainan, 2012; Golden Pin Award, 2017
- Government Scholarship to Study Abroad from Ministry of Education Republic of Taiwan