Select a SchoolSchool of Design
Select a ProgrammeService Design
Select a StudentIndia Roche
V&A Tinies – Big Adventures for Tiny Tots
The V&A Museum of Childhood, situated in Tower Hamlets, east London, is surrounded by culturally and economically diverse residents. However, last year 80 per cent of its visitors were from a white background and of a higher socio-economic status.
Our challenge was to build a relationship between the local families and the 'Early Years Programme'.
Tinies is a creative skills programme, delivered in partnership with trusted local children's centres, to ensure cultural education is accessible to all families of young children, regardless of background.
Using a playful shared narrative based around the adventures of 'Winston and Friends', Tinies takes families through a series of artist designed activities, to encourage them to become more comfortable with creative practices and principles.
Through a cyclical delivery over two academic years, the aim is for the museum staff to develop sustained relationships with families and 'Early Years' providers, with the potential to scale the model to other locations after the initial pilot phase.
School of Design
MA Service Design
I'm a service designer with a focus on combining the power of individuals and communities, with the leverage for change inherent in organisations and system structures.
Coming from a background in mental health service delivery and management, I am acutely aware of the complexities of people's lives. Over the course of the service design MA, I have experimented with design tools and processes, understanding the power of narrative and visualisation, ideation and testing.
In my own practice I now strive to combine awareness and empathy with cross-disciplinary working. Using the design process to bring people with unique skills and perspectives together to inform and build holistic solutions. If we strive to challenge the status quo of traditional service provision then maybe we can change the world!
- BA English Literature, Goldsmiths, University of London, 2014
- Service design associate, Dartington Service Design Lab, 2018–2019; Participation consultant, Young Minds, London, 2018–2019; Specialist peer service manager, City and Hackney Mind, London, 2016–2018
- The Future of Government – Personal Data and Identity, Service Design Fringe Festival, October 2018
- Reach Out RCA, Durham Wharf Award, 2018
- Yorkshire Ladies Council of Education
- V&A Museum of Childhood, John Smiths Children's Centre Tower Hamlets
- Daniela Soto