Select a SchoolSchool of Communication
Select a ProgrammeAnimation
Select a StudentEmily Downe
Show RCA work
Better is short animated film, which questions the ideal worlds of a perfectionistic culture. Exploring research through storytelling, the film is based in a fantasy jungle that acts as a portal for idealised worlds to become external.
School of Communication
Animation: Documentary Animation Pathway
- +44 (0)7983870589
- [email protected]
Emily Downe is an animation director predominantly working in documentary. Her short films take research-based topics in science, philosophy and the human story into compelling experimental and narrative structures. Prominent aspects of her work are her background in illustration, research and visual metaphors, combined together with rich and layered sound design; expressed through 2D, hand-drawn animation.
- BA Illustration Animation, Kingston University, London, 2017; Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, City and Islington College, London, 2014
- Co-director, commissioned by artist Tom Rosenthal, London, 2018; Animator and designer, School of Life, London, 2016–2018; Freelance illustrator, London, 2016–present; Motion graphics animator, Mindful Education, London, 2018–2019; Animator & designer, Prime, London, 2019
- More, OXO Tower Barge House, London, 2017
- Penguin Random House, Russian Vintage Classics, 2017; Pitch Prize, Wellcome Collection, 2018; Wellcome Collection, 2018; Student documentary 10 minutes, Raw Science Film Festival, 2019
- Ioannis Spanos; Inari Sirola, Animation; Alice Aires, Animation; Jez Pennington; Giulia Frixione; Gabriela Sibilska; Evie Gaffney