Select a SchoolSchool of Architecture
Select a ProgrammeArchitecture
Select a StudentGeorge Allen
Building a National Education Service: A Pilot Scheme for Poplar
The project proposes an alternative to Britain’s fragmented and unjust system of education. Building on current Labour Party Policy, the National Education Service would provide a truly integrated, socially inclusive and economically robust system, offering every citizen free access to life-long learning.
Poplar, in East London, is taken as a testing ground to propose a pilot scheme, working
with local stakeholders to create an education service with its foundations set firmly within the community. The project aims to underscore the potential for a comprehensive National Education Service, and to design the urban and architectural framework for inclusive education.
School of Architecture
- +44 (0)7710 473294
- [email protected]
I am interested in physical design as a vehicle for social change, encouraging the built environment to be used and produced in a fairer and more democratic way. The relationship between design and the surrounding sociopolitical context is key to understanding and informing architecture and it is the boundary between design and civil society that my practice is primarily concerned with.
- BA Architecture, University of Sheffield, 2015
- Architectural assistant, Haworth Tompkins Architects, London, 2016-17; Architectural assistant, Hawkins Brown Architects, London, 2015-16
- Manifesta 12, The Planetary Garden, Palermo, 2018
- Kucharek, J. 'Eye Line 2018', RIBA Journal, Vol 125, Issue 08, 2018, p.81
- Shortlisted, RIBA Bronze Medal, 2015; Commendation, RIBA Eye Line Drawing Prize, 2018